Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, again. So I have Samba setup on my MDK 10.0 box and the slave harddrive on my WinXP box mounted. I can access all files perfectly fine, but when ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Samba and WinXP sharing

Hello, again.

So I have Samba setup on my MDK 10.0 box and the slave harddrive on my WinXP box mounted. I can access all files perfectly fine, but when I try to save something to this drive I cannot. I do not need to share the Linux drive, as the slave drive in my WinXP box is how I want to share files between as both boxes can see it. I have sharing checked in WinXP and users are allowed to change my files. What can I do to make the WinXP slave drive writeable in Linux?!

Thank You..verymuch.

don
    Linux Newbie
    if you are accessing a share using samba, then the remote machine should give you write permission to write to that drive. that is winXP should share the folder with full permissions
    I\'m just a simple fisherman blessed with a lot of friends

Be sure you allow read write to that directory in your samba config.
    If you don't login with your own linux account, samba asumes your a guest and tries to write with those security tokens.
    If the shared dir on your linux machine is either created or mounted by root, this will result in access denied.
    To allow everyone to a specific dir use: chmod 777 <directory name>
    Be warned, this will allow everyone to read, write, modify (delete) in that dir....

Are you sharing a NTFS mounted Windows XP Partition that you want to write to ?
    Don't ... the NTFS drivers screw up... NTFS is still read only.
    Write is experimental...

---[ MS09-99896 - Vulnerability in All MS Windows OS ; Using Windows Could Allow Remote Code Execution. ]---
    Hardware: Asus P4P800, 1GB, P4-3Ghz, Asus V9950, Maxtor ATA HD\'s, 3Com GBit lan, Audigy ZS Plat.

Linux Newbie
    Yeah, it's a NTFS. I don't have much time right now to look at the smb.conf, but would you recommend that I format this drive to FAT32, or NFS?

If you want the disk to be availabe through samba only, I would recommend the linux filesystem.
    If you are dual booting, using both WinXP and Linux and want to access files using both WinXP and Linux I would suggest using FAT32.

NFS = Network File System, not a filesystem for on your harddisk
    It's comparable to smb (Samba's implementation of the Netbeui)
    ---[ MS09-99896 - Vulnerability in All MS Windows OS ; Using Windows Could Allow Remote Code Execution. ]---
    Hardware: Asus P4P800, 1GB, P4-3Ghz, Asus V9950, Maxtor ATA HD\'s, 3Com GBit lan, Audigy ZS Plat.

Linux Newbie
    Ok, I'm back. Been busy lately. I think there's some confusin about my machines.

Windows XP box-
    60gig Master
    10gig slave

MDK-
    6gig drive

In linux I can mount and read all files on the 10gig shared drive. I can now only save to it when I'm logged in as root. I get "Access Denied" when I try to save it logged in as user.

Btw-this is off topic, but I'll ask anyway. In MDK 10, after I create a user and log out to go into root, I can't. I only get the option of my user "Dan" and have to delete it every time i want to go into root. Anyone know how to fix that?

Thanks! I'll post my smb.conf after dinner.