Find the answer to your Linux question:
I was wondering what software would i use to make my Desktop a server computer in Linux? i was thinking of doing Windows Server 2003 but since i started using ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Server Computer Help

I was wondering what software would i use to make my Desktop a server computer in Linux? i was thinking of doing Windows Server 2003 but since i started using Linux i kinda like to make my server as Linux as well so i dont have to spend as much money on it lol, can someone help me please?

Thank you
    Smackie

What's the purpose of the server?

Well to host websites.. see i want to host websites like businesses, free subdomains, clan sites, and other kinds of sites for people.

Ok, then to answer your question:
    I was wondering what software would i use to make my Desktop a server computer in Linux?
    For a high-volume server, you might consider looking at some server class hardware (rather than using your desktop box). Just a thought.

What you're describing may be a LAMP installation. There are many howtos waiting on the web for you to read (including at the wikipedia article identified here).

Or, at very least, it will be a Linux + Apache installation. Same situation -- lots of howtos.

Thank you and well i built my own computer and put alot into it 4500 dollars worth and i thought i shouldnt invest into another computer for a while lol so yeah it will do until i get enough money for a real server computer..

Thank you again

Just one quick help i think lol

I found this link that shows you how to build your own server but only thing that i can see is that you use putty.exe but i cant run .exe files on linux so is this tutorial for windows only or can you run that program (not the putty.exe) as a command in a different program used for linux programming?

PuTTY is a terminal emulator/ssh client for windows. The analagous command on linux is either telnet or ssh. They probably are just telling you how to remotely access the system.

so since i have Linux what should i use then? so does that mean i could install that on windows if i wanted to?

You would use ssh from linux to remotely access another linux box in most cases. If you don't know what remote access is, you might want to read a beginner's networking tutorial.

For instance, I use PuTTy and WinSCP to access my remote server from my Windows box. It's easy. PuTTy for command line stuff and WinSCP for more of an FTP client feel. Make sure the firewall is either turned off or configured for these clients. Since you're using Linux, check out Webmin and I promise you that you will fall in love with it. Especially since you are new to this.
    I praise Webmin and PuTTy!
    Registered Linux User: 439431