Find the answer to your Linux question:
In my /var/lib/mysql directory I have the following files: -rw-rw---- 1 mysql mysql 427270 Oct 18 2005 lnn074-bin.001 -rw-rw---- 1 mysql mysql 804748447 Oct 29 2005 lnn074-bin.002 -rw-rw---- 1 mysql ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

What are lnn* files?

In my /var/lib/mysql directory I have the following files:

-rw-rw---- 1 mysql mysql 427270 Oct 18 2005 lnn074-bin.001
    -rw-rw---- 1 mysql mysql 804748447 Oct 29 2005 lnn074-bin.002
    -rw-rw---- 1 mysql mysql 794700635 Nov 10 2005 lnn074-bin.003
    -rw-rw---- 1 mysql mysql 1073741984 Nov 28 2005 lnn074-bin.004
    -rw-rw---- 1 mysql mysql 1073741896 Dec 14 2005 lnn074-bin.005
    -rw-rw---- 1 mysql mysql 1073741865 Dec 24 2005 lnn074-bin.006

Currently up to lnn074-bin.096, and taking up nearly a 100 gigs of space. What are these files and can I simply delete them except maybe the currently one?

Just Joined!
    It would be interesting to see what would happen if you deleted them.

However, I wouldn't. Well that is if you don't want to lose all your mysql data and stop mysql dead in its tracks.

MySQL has a few storage engines. One of them INNODB stores its data in the files you reference.

Just Joined!
    Also how did you get access to a server with that much data? And not know what they are?

I am not trying to be mean, I am just wondering. That is a ton of data.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by bashcurescancer.com
    It would be interesting to see what would happen if you deleted them.

However, I wouldn't. Well that is if you don't want to lose all your mysql data and stop mysql dead in its tracks.

MySQL has a few storage engines. One of them INNODB stores its data in the files you reference.
    I checked my database and all my tables are using MyISAM.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by bashcurescancer.com
    Also how did you get access to a server with that much data? And not know what they are?

I am not trying to be mean, I am just wondering. That is a ton of data.
    That's the thing, it's not anywhere near that large. According to phpMyAdmin, my database is only taking 788megs. I'm only adding 1 to 2 megs per day. I'm concerned because there is only 30gigs left of space so at the current pace the server will be full in about 100days.

Just Joined!
    Something is using it. Do you have exclusive access to this box? Whats the output of show databases? Anything unexpected?

If no one else has access to this box and you are not using InnoDB then maybe someone else "got" access and is storing stuff in your db. That does not make sense, but if you insist your not using InnoDB and no one else is...

You can turn InnoDB off by adding skip-innodb to your my.cnf. Don't just delete them. Drop the databases that are using innodb and then change your config. Then you *might* have to delete them. You need to figure out what is using it before you delete. I would expect MySQL to stop dead in its tracks if you deleted them without telling it.

Just Joined!
    I figured it out. I did a hexdump of one of the files and it looks like all my update queries are being stored. So I looked at /etc/my.cnf and saw 'log-bin'. Killed that and the lnn* file is no longer growing! We are doing over 2 million updates a day so its no wonder the lnn* files were so big. Thanks for you help in leading me in the right direction, bashcurescancer.com.

Just Joined!
    One last thing, how do I purge all those queries since I don't need them? I use Plesk control panel which does use InnoDB, so I can't add 'skip-innodb' and delete like you suggested above.

Just Joined!
    Yep something had to be using InnoDB.

Try the
    Code:
    RESET MASTER
    command