Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Good day unto all, My odyssey into Linux continues. I have figured out how to download RPM's to my system. I have created a download directory under home for a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

May have fubar'd Samba install

Good day unto all,
    My odyssey into Linux continues. I have figured out how to download RPM's to my system. I have created a download directory under home for a repositry of these so that I may untar them and install.I was able to get a copy of samba-3.0.3.tar and I untarr'd it into my downloads directory. This was wrong was it not? Should the samba-3.0.3 directory it created be somewhere else so that I may modify it and (hopefully!) get it to work correctly? If so how would I go about this? As always thanks in advance

Linux User
    Did you take a look at the documentation on samba.org?

http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/howto/

Just Joined!
    Did you take a look at the documentation on samba.org?

http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/howto/
    Yes. I am a newbie to ALL of this and don't post till I have exhausted all other options. Once I get past my basi hurdles I will be fine I was told on another board to download rpm's to /usr/source/ yet when I try to do so I get "access denied" any ideas??

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Only root can write to /usr/src, so therein lies the problem in putting files there. Typically when you untar a file like that, it creates a new subdirectory. You'll want to cd to that directory and then do this:

Code:
    ./configure
    make
    su
    make install
    exit
    That will install it for you. When you su, you put in your root password and become root to install it. The exit at the end goes back to your normal user, although you DO have to be root/su to edit /etc/samba/* (where the samba config files are stored).
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    Sarumont,
    First off hello! as always thank you for your replies (hope im not too irritating yet) While waiting for replies I figured that one out. I was able to do this from commndline:

su
    passwd
    mv samba-3.0.3.tar /usr/local/src/
    cd /usr/local/src/
    ls
    (showed file was moved)
    tar xvf samba-3.0.3.tar
    Tar went sucessfully
    cd samba-3.0.3
    ./configure
    and got this error:
    ./configure: No such file or directory

So i do a ls and this is what is there:
    ls
    COPYING Manifest Read-Manifest-Now Roadmap testsuite/
    docs/ packaging/ README source/ WHATSNEW.txt
    examples/ pcp/ REVISION swat/
    [root@localhost samba-3.0.3]#

should I cd to source and do the ./config from there? Or am I missing it completely?

Just Joined!
    I am beginning to hate Mandrake. I went to source and did:
    ./configure
    started well and I'm like "great maybe im beginning to understand this" I walk away as I am in dire need of coffee and a privy break. I come back and this is what's up:
    Code:
    Compiling rpc_parse/parse_spoolss.c
    rpc_parse/parse_spoolss.c:277: internal compiler error: Segmentation fault
    Please submit a full bug report,
    with preprocessed source if appropriate.
    See <URL&#58;https&#58;//qa.mandrakesoft.com/> for instructions.
    make&#58; *** &#91;rpc_parse/parse_spoolss.o&#93; Error 1
    &#91;quote&#93;

What is a segmentation fault?? Should I wipe everything and start from scratch?? I'm too freakin tired and frustrated now. Anyone? Any clues?&#91;/quote&#93;

Linux Newbie
    A segmentation fault means that a program (in your case probably the gcc compiler) has tried to access memory outside its private memory space.

This is actually a sort of serious error, which could mean that you
    have either hardware problems(with RAM chips or such)
    or problems with your compiler(gcc)...

Of course, I suppose there is also a possiblity that this kind of error
    would happen randomly, but you should pay attention when these sorts
    of errors pop up...

Linux User
    Beyond the other problems that you are having, you really should have a look at the documents that I linked to. They have sections on "Obtaining and Installing Samba", "How to compile Samba" and "Configuring Samba".

Why not use the instuctions of the people that made the software?

Just Joined!
    Beyond the other problems that you are having, you really should have a look at the documents that I linked to. They have sections on "Obtaining and Installing Samba", "How to compile Samba" and "Configuring Samba".

Why not use the instuctions of the people that made the software?
    As I stated earlier I have looked at the documentation. I have it printed right here next to me. I am having problems following it. Im sorry if my being a newbie offends you so much but I am trying to learn and when I dont understand I ask questions. Stating read the docs when you do not know whether I have or haven't isn't constructive nor productive. I don't have someone here who can look over my shoulder or someone I can call so here I am. Once again sorry to be so noxious to you.

Linux User
    Not to fight, but where did you say that you have read them? I only see
    Yes. I am a newbie to ALL of this and don't post till I have exhausted all other options. Once I get past my basi hurdles I will be fine I was told on another board to download rpm's to /usr/source/ yet when I try to do so I get "access denied" any ideas??
    And a couple of other posts with more questions. And that makes me think that you didn't read them. If you did, then sorry I must have missed that post.

Maybe you should think about installing samba with a program called yum or apt-get. Either will install samba and many other programs and keep your system up to date. I personally use yum on Fedora and like it very much. It will make your life much easier. I think that both of them have Mandrake repositories.

http://linux.duke.edu/projects/yum/
    http://apt4rpm.sourceforge.net/

If you install yum it's a simple as issuing the command "yum install samba" . And it's something very similar for apt4rpm, but I don't use it so I can't say for sure.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast