Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi folks, I've got a RedHat Linux 7.1 with Samba 3.0.0 installed. We've recently upgraded the workstations from Win2k to WinXP SP2. Unfortunately, none of the XP boxes are able ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question WinXP unable to access Samba 3.0.0 server

Hi folks,

I've got a RedHat Linux 7.1 with Samba 3.0.0 installed. We've recently upgraded the workstations from Win2k to WinXP SP2. Unfortunately, none of the XP boxes are able to access the Samba share. The error message says:

\\xx.xx.xx.xx is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The request is not supported.

We have another RHEL3 box with Samba 3.0.6 installed without any problems. Any idea what's wrong?

Thanks in advance.

is it possible without many security concerns to disable the firewall. that ended up being my problem IPtables was blocking the traffic.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

Just Joined!
    Checked the server and it has no iptable rules.

is it running the daemon? you have to either shut it down or try to open 445 port and ports 137 - 139. for printers you have to open printer port 631.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

Just Joined!
    Got it working again. Compiled and installed latest Samba and everything worked {g}