Find the answer to your Linux question:
From the Linux Quick Fix Notebook there is a good section on setting up bind but I have a few things I am stuck on, can anyone show me what ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

DNS zone files

From the Linux Quick Fix Notebook there is a good section on setting up bind but I have a few things I am stuck on, can anyone show me what I am missing?

In the internal view of named.conf, one of the zones is for "0.in-addr-arpa" with the entry file "named.zero" Can anyone show me what the actual zone file would look like?

Is there a simple method to get my DHCP list to make the reverse look-up zone from my dhcp server ( on a different machine ) or - is it as bad as it seems? Would I be better off assigning ips to each machine via DHCP and then I know what my list will be or ......... I will be putting in a mail server next ( I hope ) and all I read says I need it too.

I am using Suse 10. where is the named.conf it uses to run from Yast? I see the zone files I made to test in /var/lib/named/ and /var/lib/named/master and there is a named in /var/lib/named/etc/ I think Suse has a different way to start a machine then the "normal" xinet configuration and I am not sure where to look.

Thanks for ant help

Kuma

Well, at least for the DHCP, is it a better thing to assign all of my ips by MAC with my DHCP server so I can use that list to set up the reverse look-up in my DNS server? Or is there a way to get the list and put in the reverse look-up zone file?

thanks

Kuma