Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I have a local server (redhat 9 running Sendmail version 8.12. setup on a dynamic IP (cable modem) that needs to send mail via my virtual host pop3 mail account ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can sendmail use a pop3 account to send outgoing mail?

I have a local server (redhat 9 running Sendmail version 8.12. setup on a dynamic IP (cable modem) that needs to send mail via my virtual host pop3 mail account aka mail.mydomain,com . Reason is I am getting my mail bounced due to the dynamic ip with the current direct send method.

(reason: 553 5.3.0 Mail from 68.82.*.* rejected, see http://www.mail-abuse.org/dul)

It is important that all of the mail from the server is masq. as the pop3 account id. The server is currently sending mail out with a different domain. The goal is to get my server to send mail as if it were a mail client like mail or outlook.

Will sendmail do this for me or do I need to pipe the mail to some other app? I am not an experinced sendmail admin... so please be kind in your replies.

Sending Email through you server is the same as using a mailclient.
    Make sure that Sendmail is configured to route all email not belonging to the localdomain/host to the smtp server of you ISP.
    POP3 is used to receive email, SMTP is used to send it.(It's all in the name)
    (A) It is important that all of the mail from the server is masq. as the pop3 account id.
    (B) The server is currently sending mail out with a different domain.
    (A) You can't masq as the pop3 account id but you can masq as the sending ISP domain.... like: someone@MY-ISP-DOMAIN.com while internal domain would be: someone@MY-DOMAIN.com

(B) That's the reason your mail gets bounced. Configure sendmail to send email as if it's from the domain of your ISP account.

Use webmin if you want to configure sendmail it's easy that way
    It's a nice webbased admin tool.
    ---[ MS09-99896 - Vulnerability in All MS Windows OS ; Using Windows Could Allow Remote Code Execution. ]---
    Hardware: Asus P4P800, 1GB, P4-3Ghz, Asus V9950, Maxtor ATA HD\'s, 3Com GBit lan, Audigy ZS Plat.

Just Joined!

I use postfix to this

I have found sendmail hard to configure. I have redhat 9 and I use postfix. There are rpms of postfix for redhat 9. There is a nice FAQ on setting up postfix on redhat 9.

http://www.redhat.com/support/resour...FAQ/book1.html

It has a section for dial-up users but the same thing applies to any machine using a dynamic IP address. You will need to use the relayhost command to send mail to your ISP's smtp server and you can use the canonical maps to remap the username from the local name to whatever you like.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Good to know I am onthe right track.... I am using webmin to configure.

Can you tell me where I make thes modifications in the webmin sendmail admin screen... It is all abit confusing.
    I am guessing that I change [Send Outgoing Mail Via Host] to mail.mydomain.com

Just Joined!
    Is it a big deal to change from sendmail to postfix?

Just Joined!

I found it simple to switch

Is it a big deal to change from sendmail to postfix?
    I installed postfix from rpm. There is a tool in RedHat 9 called mail tranport agaent switcher. It is under system tools > More system tools.

I had to set the relay host in the /etc/postfix/main.cf and I had to
    create a sender_cononical file.

Read the FAQ I mentioned in the previous post.

http://www.redhat.com/support/resour...FAQ/book1.html

Just Joined!
    Can postfix throttle the outgoing mail .... Aka: 75 message max every 5 min?

Just Joined!
    OK I have psotfix installed and configured. Very Easy.
    I have the webmin config console which is a big help.
    My mail is now doing what I intended,
    Thank You All.

The only issue I have is the problem of controlling the number of messages that are relayed to my remote smtp... I am told that I am limited to 75 messages in a five min period. None of the config settings seem to address this?

The closest I have come to a solution is to set postfix to a dialup like setting that differs the connection until specificly called:

defer_transports = smtp
    The some how run the items in queue manually via a cron job every 5 min?

Just Joined!

I send 5 to 10 messages a day.

I have never needed to do anything like that, so I would not know.

Just Joined!
    Thank you anyway... you got me 95% there

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast