Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I experienced severe problems with samba 2.2.8 on SUSE 8.1 before, so I reinstalled SuSE with version 9.0 and Samba 2.2.9a. The problems are still there, and so I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problems with Samba 2.2.9a on SuSE 9.0

Hi

I experienced severe problems with samba 2.2.8 on SUSE 8.1 before, so I reinstalled SuSE with version 9.0 and Samba 2.2.9a.
    The problems are still there, and so I think it has to be a general problem.

I run a fileserver with USER securitylevel.
    There are different shares on it, including an anti-virus-database with auto-client-update, a downloads share for anyone saving and executing different programs, a data share for anyone storing shared data and several user-only shares.

For we have several clients, used by different people, I installed a common user, which passwort is known by the people. With this user, they can log on the downloads and common data shares...and now the problem:

If I use "inherit permissions=yes" everyone is able to make directories on that share and can read/write files into those directories...but: No on is able to execute any files, even the admin/root isn't able to do this!

If I don't use this parameter, everyone can execute/read/write files and make directories on that share...but: No one is able to write anything in this fresh made directory!

The rights settings on linux base are ok.

Here for example the downloads share smb.conf:
    [download]
    comment = Downloads zur allgemeinen Verfügung
    path = /home/downloads
    read list = @group
    write list = @group
    read only = No
    create mask = 0777
    force create mode = 0777
    directory mask = 0666
    force directory mode = 0666

Anyone with a clue ?