Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there, I recently installed the LAMPP server from the Ubuntu install. I finally got Apache working with multiple hosts (currently 1 host and 3 sub-domains, but may have additional ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Setting up a web/ftp/svn server

Hi there,

I recently installed the LAMPP server from the Ubuntu install. I finally got Apache working with multiple hosts (currently 1 host and 3 sub-domains, but may have additional ones in the future). I found that setting up the user accounts and apache stuff with Webmin was fairly straight forward.

What I would like to do next is set up an ftp server on it. There would be some requirements for this. I would like it to be able to differentiate between the hosts. So if the user account USER1 is the user for HOST1 (home directory, etc), I would like to have that user account be the login for HOST1 FTP, where the ftp directory is his home directory. Optionally, I would also like to have a public ftp for HOST1. Then, the same would go for USER2/HOST2, etc. What, please, would be your recommendations on the best (free) ftp server to use, and can it be configured through Webmin?

Finally, the step after this would be the same as ftp, only for subversion/svn. Each host could potentially have a private/public subersion repository(ies) to access. Is this also easy to set up?

Thank you in advance,

-- a n00b linux user, cheers!

i was also doing that to our new server (Fedora Core 6). try ProFTP. i don't know if they have the same setup but i guess they are almost similar. here's a nice link on how to set it up (for Fedora Core):

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/archiv...php/t-966.html