Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi in my organization, we have windows 98, windows XP and linux 9 pcs connected by LAN. i have installed samba on the linux 9 machine. i am able to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

samba.........prob!!

hi
    in my organization, we have windows 98, windows XP and linux 9 pcs connected by LAN. i have installed samba on the linux 9 machine. i am able to see linux contents properly, but there's a prob with the windows contents. i can see the workgroup, PCs and the shared folders, but no files, it shows those folders as empty. what should i do??
    another thing....do i have to add all the usernames and passwords of the other machines so that they can view my linux shared contents? That would cause a lot of prob as we are trying to migrate from windows to linux, on all linux machines it will not be feasible to add all the other 60 PC's usernames and passwords.
    Kindly answer my queries
    aparna

Re: samba.........prob!!

Quote Originally Posted by aparna
    hi
    in my organization, we have windows 98, windows XP and linux 9 pcs connected by LAN. i have installed samba on the linux 9 machine. i am able to see linux contents properly, but there's a prob with the windows contents. i can see the workgroup, PCs and the shared folders, but no files, it shows those folders as empty. what should i do??
    another thing....do i have to add all the usernames and passwords of the other machines so that they can view my linux shared contents? That would cause a lot of prob as we are trying to migrate from windows to linux, on all linux machines it will not be feasible to add all the other 60 PC's usernames and passwords.
    Kindly answer my queries
    aparna
    With Linux 9 I assume you mean Red Hat 9.
    About those empty shares, there are 3 possible sollutions.
    1) give all pc's all usersnames and password.
    You don't want this, if someone changes his password, good luck with the rest of the systems.

2) Enable the Guest user on the windows machines and allow guest access to the shares.
    This is the easiest sollutions and the fastest,

3) Create a domain where all user information is stored on one machine, this way authentication queries are resolved by your PDC.

If you want to switch everything to Linux/*Nix then I would suggest to create a Unix domain (comparable to a W2K Domain) and use samba to emulate that domain for all you Windows workstations.
    ---[ MS09-99896 - Vulnerability in All MS Windows OS ; Using Windows Could Allow Remote Code Execution. ]---
    Hardware: Asus P4P800, 1GB, P4-3Ghz, Asus V9950, Maxtor ATA HD\'s, 3Com GBit lan, Audigy ZS Plat.

Just Joined!
    is it possible for you to past in the smb.conf??
    maybe if u use the "guest ok = yes" for your share it might work then
    it would be clear if we can see the sonfig file for samba
    ciao

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Samba config file created using SWAT
    # from localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1)
    # Date: 2004/06/01 13:39:15

# Global parameters
    [global]
    workgroup = MYGROUP
    server string = samba server on aparna
    security = SHARE
    encrypt passwords = Yes
    obey pam restrictions = Yes
    pam password change = Yes
    passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
    passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n *passwd:*all*authentication*tokens*updated*success fully*
    unix password sync = Yes
    log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
    max log size = 0
    socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
    dns proxy = No
    guest ok = Yes
    hosts allow = 192.168.1. 127.
    printing = cups
    printers]
    comment = All Printers
    path = /var/spool/samba
    printable = Yes
    browseable = No

[homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    read only = No

[aparna]
    comment = home directory
    path = /root/aparna/
    read only = No

this is my smb.conf file....kindly look into it and suggest changes

Linux Newbie
    If you are able to View Linux Contents from Windows Boxes, there's *NOTHING* wrong in your SAMBA configuration.

Now to view Windows' shares. you need to authenticate to windows Network. see my previous posts on mounting windows' shares on how to authenticate to windows network.