Find the answer to your Linux question:
I once had everything setup right and it was working. Then I just made some more file shares. Now the windows clients can connect to the server through workgroup just ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Windows clients can't log on to Samba file server.

I once had everything setup right and it was working. Then I just made some more file shares. Now the windows clients can connect to the server through workgroup just fine it's just that when you try to access the folder the window that ask for your user name and password appears. This is what I have figured out so far. Enter the correct username and password and you do have premmisions for that folder the windows login window keeps popping up and it doesn't get any further then that. Enter a invald username and password and you get an error message (which is suppose to happen). So why can't my windows clients login and the windows logon window keeps popping up?

did u change the permision on the sharing folder, try ls -la to see the user permision
    and use chown, chgrp go change it back

Yes the permissions on all the files that are going to be shared are all 777. The are all located on a new dictonary I made.
    /sharefiles
    So it can't be the premmsions. I have done the following things.
    Check the file permmisions, check the host file (something was wrong with this but it turns out it isn't what is casuing my problem).

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    i got no ideal then , try /etc/init.d/smb restart

I have already restarted the SMB service a few times already. This is a really weired thing that I can't seem to find anything online for help. I found one thing that was similar but I'm not using domain logins.

well, you need to give us more information in terms what authentication mechanism u r using, there are many mechanisms supported in samba:
    1- AD //active directory
    2-user level //user is mapped with unix users

3- share level access
    a directory is shared like windows //insecure
    etc.
    u need to check
    /etc/samba/smb.conf files and look for writable entry
    /etc/samba/smbuser check if the samba users are mapped to the right unix users if they are the real(unix) users have permission to work on the share

Oh, sorry, I fixed the problem already. I got rid of my Red Hat Distro on the server and used instead SME Server linux. The main reason is I'm sort of only a temp for this tech job and the server has to be easy to mange for the manger because once I'm gone he has to make the shared files and everything. Yeah thanks for your info though.