Find the answer to your Linux question:
Greetings I have a daul booted linux/windows machine. The windows partition is fat and I can mount it no problem with using vfat. Now I've how got Samba working and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Sharing vfat mount using Samba

Greetings

I have a daul booted linux/windows machine. The windows partition is fat and I can mount it no problem with using vfat. Now I've how got Samba working and am able to share files on my other windows machine using it. However when it comes to sharing the mount parition on my daul boot system I can only see the directory and cannot atually see any files. Pretty new to this stuff so not sure whats going on? Any help would be great!

Cheers Dave

OK so what I think you are saying is you are dual booted but actually booted in LInux and are trying to get to your windows partitions? Or are you trying to get to your windows partition while booted in windows?

Either way it sounds like you are having a permission issues but in the first scenerio you will have to enable that in the kernel and it is in the experimental stage although I have successfully done it with a slackware box.
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Just Joined!
    Sorry,
    I'm booted in linux on one machine, which has samba running and my mount fat windows drives. That all works ok. Now I've got another machine running windows which can see the files are shared through samba. But when it comes to sharing say C (the windows drive) I can share it and it comes up in the windows viewer but when I go into it there are no files. This seems to happen with anything mounted using vfat which I try to share over the network (like a usb key) however mounting and sharing the cdrom is fine. Hope that is clearer

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by thinkfuture
    Sorry,
    I'm booted in linux on one machine, which has samba running and my mount fat windows drives. That all works ok. Now I've got another machine running windows which can see the files are shared through samba. But when it comes to sharing say C (the windows drive) I can share it and it comes up in the windows viewer but when I go into it there are no files. This seems to happen with anything mounted using vfat which I try to share over the network (like a usb key) however mounting and sharing the cdrom is fine. Hope that is clearer
    OK just to clarify

Comp A
    Linux/windows - booted in to linux running samba.

Comp B
    windows -

Now are you trying to access the windows directory on comp A from comp B while booted into linux?

Or are you trying to share comp B on the network?
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Just Joined!
    "Now are you trying to access the windows directory on comp A from comp B while booted into linux"

Yes that is correct

Thanks!

Ok then what you will have to do and I have limited knowledge myself on this is on the dual booted machine you will need to compile your kernel and add write/execute on windows directories. This will be a module I think and it is pretty clear once you get there. I will warn you that it is experimental but I have been successfull with it in slackware. Once you enable that then we can address the Samba issue.

You are on the right track though adding it to your Fstab directory.
    -- Linus Torvalds