Find the answer to your Linux question:
Sorry but I think I posted it in the wrong forum (if a mod can close the one in 'Networking' that would be great), anyway... Hello all, My first post ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

VSFTPD only connecting locally?

Sorry but I think I posted it in the wrong forum (if a mod can close the one in 'Networking' that would be great), anyway...

Hello all,

My first post here so go easy
    I'm trying to set up a very simple FTP server. Very few people will use it and it's more to upload pictures and small movies from time to time by some friends of mine or myself.
    I might setup a password for it later but first I just want it to work anonymously (which it doesn't now, hence this post).

The problem is it will only work locally.

ftp://192.168.1.125 works like a charm
    ftp://mydomain.com gives the error: Cannot enter folder

I've searched google for a half hour and couldn't find a satisfying answer. Anyone that can put me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance!

-Sander

i think its a DNS issue. there should be a DNS record which points the address 192.168.1.125 to http://mydomain.com.

Just Joined!
    Well don't really think it's a DNS issue. If I go to http://mydomain.com Apache responds perfectly. Port 80 is forwarded properly and points to the server. I forwarded port 21 to the same machine but still no success.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Hi,

You might try forwarding the port 20 and the range of passive ports from the config file to your ftp server. It worked for me with proftpd.

Cheers,

OK a couple of things if you are goling to ftp.yourdomain.com you will need to have ftp.yourdomain.com entered in the DNS as a ftp server as you would mx and a and all the others.

You can alway ftp your real IP if you want.

I suggest that you use scp if you insist on using FTP make sure you have anonymous ftp turned off.

If you are still having issues as said earlier make sure you are port forwarding your FTP to the right computer on your router.
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds