Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have installed Bind on a server here at my house and it works fine, but when I set it up on a server on teh web I do not ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Problem with BIND 9

I have installed Bind on a server here at my house and it works fine, but when I set it up on a server on teh web I do not seem to be getting a responce from it, it looks the same and the port seems to be working, any ideas??

Bill

Bill we will need more information than that.
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Linux Newbie
    What info do you need, let me see I have a server on the web and a test server here, both run Fedora Core 4, the one at my house works fine but when I activate the one on the web it does not seem to respond for example, I set up a test domain (Master Domain) on it but when I set a computer here at my house to use it as a DNS server it does not respond with the Ip when I ask the system to ping my test domain. Also i can not find a log filr to see what happens on the server when I ask it for the address. I will gladly provide all the files if that would help.

Bill

what does /var/log/messages say?

is there any named errors?
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Linux Newbie
    There are no errors in the messages and no named logs that I can find. Also I have rechecked to make sure that port 53 is allowed in my firewall

Bill

This one is odd, but go over your configs and make sure you have no spelling errors. Also look for the differences between the good file and the one that is not working.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Linux Newbie
    I have looked at the code, it all seems to match, question, my firewall has port 53 open, could I be missing a port??

Linux Newbie

Problem Solved

I had TCP port 53 open, I open UDP port 53 and it started working

Thanks for all the help