Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am a newbie to sendmail. This is the first attempt at a sendmail server. I have everything setup fine to access the server but when I try to sendmail ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy Sendmail IP Rewriting All mail not sent from server rejected

I am a newbie to sendmail. This is the first attempt at a sendmail server. I have everything setup fine to access the server but when I try to sendmail from a IP address other than that of the server(ie. 192.168.0.100) I get a returned mail error with address look-up failed. Of course it failed bc there is no MX record for the originating IP, but there is for the sendmail server. So how do I handle this issue when accessing the mail server remotely? Is there a way to rewrite the IP to the server's, or is there a better way to go about this. I have webmin, so if you know of a way to handle it through that let me know. Thx so much.

Just Joined!

Revision

I think maybe the above isn't clear. I am trying to setup my own email server using sendmail and dovecot. I have everything setup and working, except when I try to send an email from a remote system using a valid user name and password for the MTA(sendmail). I can recieve mail fine, but when I send it the targeted server(such as bellsouth.net) rejects the mail bc it appears to be coming from the remote computer's IP address. How can I fix this? I get an error 550 everytime. If I send it directly from the server I am ok bc there is an MX record on my DNS servers for that address.

OK well it is not broken what you are telling me is that relay is not on that is good. Here is what you need to do

In /etc/mail
    you should have a file called access

Edit this file like this

192.168.0.5 (or whatever theip is that is remote)<tab><tab> relay
    so it will look like this

192.168.0.5 RELAY

This also works with domains so if you have a domain you can do this too

yourdomain.com RELAY

then once you have edited the file type
    make
    then restart sendmail
    /etc/init.d/sendmail restart

you should be good to go
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds