Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have the Sendmail/Dovecot mail server up and running fine. I am worried about spammers using my server for relaying now. I have it set to relay from anywhere in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Sendmail:How to relay when user logs in remotely from any IP with valid user/pass

I have the Sendmail/Dovecot mail server up and running fine. I am worried about spammers using my server for relaying now. I have it set to relay from anywhere in my LAN, or the localhost, or the domain, however if someone tries to sendmail through my server using IP addresses common to LANs it will send. Or if I send remotely from another IP it won't even with a valid user/pass. So my question is how to I relay only for those who login with a valid user or pass via a database that logs IP's then timesout that IP eventually from users that login to sendmail?

I mostly answered this on your other post.

If you are using private addresses in your lan ie 192.168 or 10.0.0 then know one with those same IPs will be able to use your server. If you have a shared class C
    then you can hone it to only allow your ip's such as if you own

216.231.54.6 -11
    then you can add only those to the access file.

I hope this makes sense.
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds