Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Originally Posted by sunhaze Thanks, so im guessing my "true i.p" is the one that needs to be ported. I wonder if apache has some liturature on this. No, this ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by sunhaze
    Thanks, so im guessing my "true i.p" is the one that needs to be ported. I wonder if apache has some liturature on this.
    No, this isn't really apache's job. Apache is only there to serve up sites once this issue has been resolved. You need to investigate "port forwarding" and the easiest way to accomplish this with your router and hub.
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

alright so i messed around with some settings in my router, dmz, port forward, and disabled some stuff and now the true i.p works. heres the link, does it work for you guys?

http://68.227.120.187/~brett/

Sorry dude I can't get to it.

I will do a traceroute
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

I can ping you, which means you're online, but I can't see the site. Have you made sure to open port 80 in your firewall?
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII

Looks like I can traceroute it from my home but I can't check the gui till I get there.

I will let you know when I get home.
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

smolley, Don't think it is a port forward issue if his IP is not a private address. If it is live he is on the internet right?

Unless he is passing live IP's through his router.

Check to see if http is running.

/etc/init.d/httpd restart
    -- Linus Torvalds

Quote Originally Posted by adrenaline
    smolley, Don't think it is a port forward issue if his IP is not a private address. If it is live he is on the internet right?

Unless he is passing live IP's through his router.

Check to see if http is running.

/etc/init.d/httpd restart
    No, I don't think it's a port forwarding issue any more. The web address he gave with an external IP makes me think that he tried it from inside his network and it worked. The fact that I could ping it doesn't mean much, since I may just have been pinging his router and not the linux box.

If he'd set everything up properly, but forgot to open port 80 in his linux firewall, it would look like this. We'd be able to ping him, but be unable to communicate with his apache server. He should make sure his firewall is configured properly.

I just thought of something else if you are using ~brett is the site in /home/brett ? If so you will need to change the document root in apache. (don't forget to create a backup of the file first)

I don't know what distro you are using and forgive me it it was stated adn I forgot, but most of the time the document root is in /var/www/html
    -- Linus Torvalds

Quote Originally Posted by smolloy
    No, I don't think it's a port forwarding issue any more. The web address he gave with an external IP makes me think that he tried it from inside his network and it worked. The fact that I could ping it doesn't mean much, since I may just have been pinging his router and not the linux box.

If he'd set everything up properly, but forgot to open port 80 in his linux firewall, it would look like this. We'd be able to ping him, but be unable to communicate with his apache server. He should make sure his firewall is configured properly.
    This is True
    -- Linus Torvalds

Quote Originally Posted by adrenaline
    I don't know what distro you are using and forgive me it it was stated adn I forgot, but most of the time the document root is in /var/www/html
    He's using Suse10.1, which means the doc root will be /srv/www/htdocs/

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast