Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Just got done installing apache http web server, everythings up and running fine, but how do i take the 127.0.0.1/~username and turn it into a url that is accessible on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Unhappy Publish my apache site

Just got done installing apache http web server, everythings up and running fine, but how do i take the 127.0.0.1/~username and turn it into a url that is accessible on the web!

Do you have a domain name? You will have to have a domain name from someplace like godaddy to publish it.

Actually if you want to test it Look at the IP address it should show you a default apache web page.
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

nope couldnt find an address, perhaps theres an apache config file somwhere? If possible im just looking for a free domain like a .tk or freewebs, this is just going to serve some media over the web.

as root type ipconfig
    that will give you an IP address put the address in the location bar your page should show up if everthing is alright

type this to start it

/etc/init.d/httpd restart

If it says fail you have to fix something if it says OK then you are golden
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Go to http://www.whatismyip.com to find out your IP address. Now go to the_IP_address_from_that_website/~username and you should see your site.

Once that's working, check out DynDNS to get a free URL. That's how I set up the web address you see in my signature.
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

sweet thanks, alright its up .. ↑ suse 10.1 woot ↑

Quote Originally Posted by smolloy
    Go to http://www.whatismyip.com to find out your IP address. Now go to the_IP_address_from_that_website/~username and you should see your site.

Once that's working, check out DynDNS to get a free URL. That's how I set up the web address you see in my signature.
    That is nice a nice tip, but I essentially said the same thing but in the CLI I am not sure about all of these fancy URL's lol

Nice tip
    -- Linus Torvalds

hmm i think i might have a slight problem. I dont think anyone outside my network is able to get to it.

Ok you are going to have to be really specific.

What you want and what is happening.

Now here is what I assume and you tell me if I am right

You have a default Fully Qualified domain name webpage that the world sees.

You have two different INTERNAL web pages that two different floors sees respectively?
    -- Linus Torvalds

well basicly, the only way i can get to the page is using its network i.p/username, so outside of my network the address doesnt work, so im not sure what to do.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast