Results 1 to 2 of 2
Hi, I'm planning on setting up my first complete Linux server and I would like to get input on what distribution and applications to use. Before I start I want ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
- 04-15-2007 #1
Distribution and software selection
I'm planning on setting up my first complete Linux server and I would like to get input on what distribution and applications to use. Before I start I want to point out that I am aware of the security risk with placing firewall, webserver and more on the same system, so no rants on that!
The only thing I have given any thought to is the distro where I am thinking of using SuSE. But I am open to suggestions.
So, here's what I'm looking for:
1. A good distribution to run on a mid-old system. About 2.5Ghz with approx 512 Ram.
2. A good and easily configured firewall but with the ability to set more advanced settings.
3. A webserver. I assume this will be Apache?
4. Database application. I assume MySQL?
5. The ability to work as a file server for windows and linux clients. (samba?)
6. A good FTP server with support for encrypted transfers, virtual folders and decent user/rights management.
7. A good bitTorrent client.
8. Possibly also be able to run as a domain controller for windows/linux machines although this is something I will not set up initially.
I need to be able to run a GUI. I feel safer with that available to begin with although I am aim on running it strictly from terminal/command line in the long run.
Any suggestions on parts of this or the entire thing would be most welcome! And also helpful suggestions for how to go about doing it.
- 04-15-2007 #2
Please take a look at the link in my signature. It will get you started and help you decide what is the best fit for you.Looking for a distro? Look here.
"There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
Registered Linux User #386147.