Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm planning on setting up my first complete Linux server. I am not allowed to ask for suggestions on which distro to use so please keep your answers to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Software selection

Hi,

I'm planning on setting up my first complete Linux server. I am not allowed to ask for suggestions on which distro to use so please keep your answers to software only!

Before I start I want to point out that I am aware of the security risk with placing firewall, webserver and more on the same system, so no rants on that!

The only thing I have given any thought to is the distro where I am thinking of using SuSE. But please do not make any other suggestions in this thread. This is something I need to figure out on my own apparently.

So, here's what I'm looking for:
    1. A good and easily configured firewall but with the ability to set more advanced settings.
    2. A webserver. I assume this will be Apache?
    3. Database application. I assume MySQL?
    4. The ability to work as a file server for windows and linux clients. (samba?)
    5. A good FTP server with support for encrypted transfers, virtual folders and decent user/rights management.
    6. A good bitTorrent client.
    7. Possibly also be able to run as a domain controller for windows/linux machines although this is something I will not set up initially.

I want to be able to run a GUI for all apps. I feel safer with that available to begin with although I am aim on running it strictly from terminal/command line in the long run.

Any suggestions on parts of this or the entire thing would be most welcome! I'm worried about in-compability, or if there are benefits from using specific apps in combination. And also helpful suggestions for how to go about doing it.

Thanks!

I would recommend CENTOS it is Red Hat Enterprise minus the Logos.

It will do everything and is an easy to learn also.

I would suggest that one for starters.
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Linux Enthusiast
    Try CentOS, and SFTP in a jail for #5
    http://olivier.sessink.nl/jailkit/

Thanks, I will look into these!

Linux Newbie
    For the firewall I'd check out either GuardDog or Firestarter.

I use KTorrent as a BitTorrent client and find it to work well.

Samba is a good option for file sharing if you are talking about a workgroup or domain environment.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMayhem
    The only thing I have given any thought to is the distro where I am thinking of using SuSE. But please do not make any other suggestions in this thread. This is something I need to figure out on my own apparently.
    You've figured out right. If you need a server distribution with good management tools (graphical ones), Suse is probably a good choice. CentOS could be one too.

1. A good and easily configured firewall but with the ability to set more advanced settings.
    Shorewall perhaps.

2. A webserver. I assume this will be Apache?
    Ya ya, Apache is probably the most flexible and full featured one. For simple use, you can look into lighthttpd.

3. Database application. I assume MySQL?
    MySQL for most uses. For some specific usages PostgreSQL will be more appropriate, however MySQL remains the ideal choice for most users.

4. The ability to work as a file server for windows and linux clients. (samba?)
    Exactly, Samba provides excellent compatibility with Windows Shares.

5. A good FTP server with support for encrypted transfers, virtual folders and decent user/rights management.
    There are too many. Pick the one that is better supported in your distribution of choice. I believe Suse uses Proftpd by default (not sure though).

6. A good bitTorrent client.
    A mather of preferences here. Depending on the features you like, many can do the job. Personally I like Azureus, as it is the most full featured BitTorrent Client around. It allows you to run a torrent server very easily also.

7. Possibly also be able to run as a domain controller for windows/linux machines although this is something I will not set up initially.
    Samba can do the job very reliably here.

Good luck on your quest.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee