Find the answer to your Linux question:
I set up Debian Etch as a File Server on an old Compaq 7470 using Samba. It seems to be working fine except for one problem. I created 4 user ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Folder Permissions

I set up Debian Etch as a File Server on an old Compaq 7470 using Samba. It seems to be working fine except for one problem. I created 4 user accounts and each users home folder is accessible from the Window$ XP machines on the network. I set up a /data/music folder to be accessible by all users. The problem is that this folders is not accessible unless I add the command chmod o=rwx music. I tried the commands chmod u=rwx music and chmod g=rwx. I can see the folder from the XP machines but I can;t write to it unless I add the other users cammand. This is on a home network where I have three Window$ XP machines as well as the Debian file server behind a router. I am concerned about security. Is this something that I should be concerned about I would appreciate any advice!
    Thanks,
    Jay

Here is what I do.

I create a group called say tunes
    then I put all the people in my network that needs access to it and I only give them read and execute.

Then I chgrp tunes music
    then I chmod 755 music
    that gives root all rights and your group all read and execute and O read and execute.

Let me know if you need more clarification.

If you don't want root to have all rights you can chown your username.
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the advice. Will these commands remove write privaleges to the all 'others' that were given with chmod o=rwx music? I think I understand your instructions. I will give it a try tonight. Thanks again!!!!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    yes it will look like this

drrwxr_xr_x root tunes music yada yada

7 rwx 5 r_x
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Just Joined!

Run Command Problem/ Question

Hi I am having a similar problem with with folder/file accessibility, except it has to do with Typo3. The manual says this:

"Run these commands as root in the cms/ directory:
    # chgrp -R <wwwserver> fileadmin typo3conf typo3temp uploads
    # chmod -R g+w,o-rwx fileadmin typo3conf typo3temp uploads

... where <wwwserver> is the name of the group your webserver
    is running as"

It sounds simple But the main problem is that I am a little new to this syntax and dont completely know how to "Run Commands."

Sorry for redirecting this thread but I found this after a 5 Hour search on the topic and got no real help. All suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Just Joined!
    So what does the 755 do? I have seen different numbers following the chmod command. Can someone point me to a list of these parameters and what they mean? Thanks. J

You can substitute numbers for read write execute

7 == all
    5 == read and execute and
    0 == no rights.

There are others but these are the most common

And it works like this

drwxr_x_ _ _
    d == directory
    rwx == read write execute
    r_x == read and execute
    _ _ _ == no rights so this would read

chmod 750

the first three is owner the second set is group and the third is the world.

Does this help?

Mike
    -- Linus Torvalds

Just Joined!
    Very Cool !! This is starting to make sense now. Thank you very much for your help!!!! J