Find the answer to your Linux question:
We have a windows file server setup here with about a hundred windows xp home workstations. Basically, what we want is a file server with ldap set up so we ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

setting up samba with ldap?

We have a windows file server setup here with about a hundred windows xp home workstations. Basically, what we want is a file server with ldap set up so we don't need specific users set to each pc. We want everyone to be able to logon to there account set up on teh server instead of logging into a specific pc. There's talk of going the microsoft route but the other linux guy and I would like to come up with a non-microsoft way

I run my own LDAP server to provide domain accounts that are the same as my unix login accounts. I used FedoraDirectoryServer, which made the LDAP side of things significantly easier.

You'll need to know a little about windows domains to do this, and a little about both LDAP and how information is stored and retrieved, but those docs exist in abundance on t'internet.

Firstly, I set up the directory server, added unix accounts (there are ways to import users that I found on the internet - that makes life quite easy). I got this working and tested it with logons under Linux.

After this I used the documents on the Samba site to set up the Windows domain. It was not straightforward, and there are plenty of things that you can do wrong in the LDAP database.

My suggestion is that you read the docs and give it a go - if you need help with specific bits, just ask away.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/