Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm running Apache and proftpd on the Ubuntu Fiesty Fawn Server distro. I've got my DocumentRoot in Apache and my FTP server root set to /etc/apache2/htdocs. I created this folder, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Permissions problem on web server

I'm running Apache and proftpd on the Ubuntu Fiesty Fawn Server distro. I've got my DocumentRoot in Apache and my FTP server root set to /etc/apache2/htdocs. I created this folder, but, when I log into the FTP, I can't transfer files due to a permissions problem. I tried chmod a=rw /etc/apache2/htdocs to set the permissions. Once I do this, I can no longer login to the FTP server. It says my password is incorrect. I created the folder and set the permissions while logged in as root. I have a feeling I'm just missing a step. Any help is greatly appreciated.

campbelld

probably be several here say it is not a good idea to allow root to be able to ftp in and so forth. Besides being a security risk, it could also be some of the trouble. Some services are practically denied to root to keep the server from certain risks.

I am not certain on your paths also. I use Suse and allow it to set up a good deal of the paths for me through YaST. I make a partition on build-up just for www/ftp using /srv. Suse/Apache likes to put the files htdocs and cgibin in /srv/www/ and also ftp in /srv/ftp.

You may not be able to get full permissions to /etc.
    I make a user for web and ftp then set it's home to /srv so it is chroot jailed there.

I am not positive it would stop you but root may not be able to own any of those folders at all.

I hope it helps some.

Kumado