Find the answer to your Linux question:
I want to replace my present DNS service for my web site basically so I can get better, quicker results and I guess more control of what I want to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

setting up local DNS servers

I want to replace my present DNS service for my web site basically so I can get better, quicker results and I guess more control of what I want to do, mail and so on.

I have 1 and plan to set a second DNS server in my DMZ. ( seems I need 2? for it to be done proper? )

The name is owned by NetworkSoultions and it seems they have DNS service there. ( I would just use theirs but I also own www site edu [which is not pointing to the proper site for over a year now with no response ] and the .edu people need 2 Named name servers to point to set up )

I am really confused here, is it the chicken or the egg 1st?

If I go to NetworkSolutions to point them to my DNS servers, ( I guess I need to check if they go by name or by IP - forgot to check that ) it would be ns1 site net and ns2 site net but my server is what tells what site net is and defines ns1 and ns2 so how does NetworkSolutions resolve ns1 and ns2 site net to the IPs?

thanks for any help!!

Kumado

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumado View Post
    I want to replace my present DNS service for my web site basically so I can get better, quicker results and I guess more control of what I want to do, mail and so on.

I have 1 and plan to set a second DNS server in my DMZ. ( seems I need 2? for it to be done proper? )

The name is owned by NetworkSoultions and it seems they have DNS service there. ( I would just use theirs but I also own www site edu [which is not pointing to the proper site for over a year now with no response ] and the .edu people need 2 Named name servers to point to set up )

I am really confused here, is it the chicken or the egg 1st?

If I go to NetworkSolutions to point them to my DNS servers, ( I guess I need to check if they go by name or by IP - forgot to check that ) it would be ns1 site net and ns2 site net but my server is what tells what site net is and defines ns1 and ns2 so how does NetworkSolutions resolve ns1 and ns2 site net to the IPs?

thanks for any help!!

Kumado
    While this is definitely possible, if you are not a DNS expert and do not want to risk losing access to your sites inadvertently, why not use a third parties name servers? There are lots of inexpensive/free name server services that give you tools to manage your own domain records. xname.org comes to mind but there are several others.

I am definately not an expert, doubt I ever will be but, 6 years ago I had never done any networking, now I have 6 servers running several services, NAT with my own iptables script on 3 nics - green, yellow, red zones ( or whichever method of marking you use - I have seen alot of different ways ) web server, camera server, ftp and httpd install servers, dhcp, ntp, internal DNS, samba, vpn, a Win machine for cert. testing ....... these are not perfect either but I keep refining them or try to.

I am a teacher and it is part of the curriculum to teach this to students that want to learn ( VERY few care about anything ).

I have a desire to know how to do all this myself, not just so I can teach it. I enjoy it, programming, electronics and so on.

I am a visual learner myself more than a reader. I guess I have a hard time expressing myself so others know what I am asking so I often do not get what others have written.

Thanks - I did not know about the free DNS services sites. My 2 web names are with Network Solutions now and they seem to have free DNS services. The one thing I did not get an answer from was if I can have mysite edu point to them as well. mysite com and mysite edu should point to the same ip.

I may just go with a DNS services site later but for now, I want to know.

ttfn
    Kumado