Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am responsible for the remote administration of a Linux (RH Server over SSH from my home Win2kPro machine. Is there a way to mount my local Windows CD-RW drive ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Backup remote Linux Server to Local Win2KPro CD-RW over SSH

I am responsible for the remote administration of a Linux (RH Server
    over SSH from my home Win2kPro machine.

Is there a way to mount my local Windows CD-RW drive on the remote Linux box?

I would like to perform backups with out the tar or zip files taking up extra space on either machine.

(i.e. Compress files and write to CD all in one process...)

Will Samba be necessary? Any difference in Samba if my home computer is on no special network or workgroup - just a static IP?

All responses will be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance for your time and consideration!!

Just Joined!
    do you want to know if there is a way to mount your cd-rw on your linux box and automatecly backup ur linux files from your linux machine to the cd-rw without having to copy thm to ur win2k box????

Just Joined!
    I want the remote Linux server to act as though the CD-RW on my home Win2K machine was part of the server itself....

hopefully issue one line of code to zip up files on the linux box and send them over the internet to burn on the CD-RW without the zip files taking up space on the Linux file system or the C:\ drive of my windows box...

i.e. zip <these files> and save them <here>

I've never worked with Samba before, and most tutorials seem to be written with the opposite function in mind....saving Windows files to a Linux box....

Also...I'm not sure what role SSH or VPN would play in the process...

Just Joined!
    i don't think samba will help you in this issue
    try mounting the cd-rw to ur linux machin just lke youmount a cdrom and then try workin with it i think it sould work this way

Just Joined!
    Even though the 2 machines are not physically near each other AND they are NOT on a network together? ( I don't even have physical access to the Linux box at all...) All I would be mounting is an IP address followed by a drive letter?

(BTW...I appreciate your feedback...thank you!!)

Just Joined!
    well i think so i never tryed it befor but logecly it should work just try it
    and tell me what happens with you