Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by kpzani All this talk of determine your needs etc. Is very good but fairly pointless. What can debian do that mandrake can't? etc. Its open source remember ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Re: distro

Quote Originally Posted by kpzani
    All this talk of determine your needs etc. Is very good but fairly pointless. What can debian do that mandrake can't? etc. Its open source remember every piece of software and tool can be ported. the question is do you have the time and skill to do it. or do you just want to type apt-get greatsoftware.

I struggle to tell distros apart in terms of whats available. Almost all distros offer the same stuff in slightly diff ways. Most users choose a distro based on political / idealistic reasons.

So pick the one with the prettiest logo. it's as good a method as any other.
    That is a fair point.

The point I was trying to make about determining your needs is that some commercial linux applications are only supported on redhat for example, so choosing another distro would void any chance of getting support from that company. If that support would be important to you, you dont really have a choice in the matter

Jason

Just Joined!

What about the Slackware distro ?

Slackware distro is very stable and everything is about command line.

Latest is 9.1 and is based on kernel 2.4.22 but is upgradable to 2.6

Latest (unstable) is 10 RC2. Some people are using it to make iso images you can download.

In Slackware you have everything basic you need in 2 (bin) + 2 (src) CD or one DVD.

My first distro was Slackware and was based on kernel 0.99. Everything I tested later was awfull and I can explain why : the Mandrake or Redhat or any other that has a Windows look is not that simple to use as it seems.
    If something goes wrong with these (some driver not working or some X11free server to change compile and get working) you have to be very carefull. You cannot just go to the config file and change it and it will work, you have to inform the front-end that looks like Windows you do so or you will get weird things happening. So to use it you have to learn much more how to use your Windows-like distro to know how to configure deeper. And it is sure you will need to do this if you do Admin a server since the GUI of those distros is not that powerful that the abilities of the command line.
    Don't imagine each distro can do on its own as much as the big company Microsoft is to figure out with a GUI everything you need. Command line has always been more powerfull ! That is Slackware.

Slackware permits you even more : the packages are tarballs and you can install and deploy everything by your own (no need of a GUI) if you like. However Slackware provided a GUI (not one of those worderfull graphic ones but as efficient) if you need so.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2