Find the answer to your Linux question:
Please can someone help me! I just setup a wiki to compliment my website. It appeared to be working fine earlier today. Then when I tried looking at the wiki ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

MediaWiki fails to serve up Main_page

Please can someone help me!

I just setup a wiki to compliment my website. It appeared to be working fine earlier today. Then when I tried looking at the wiki site just now, my Apache server just listed the contents of the directory where index.php resides. When I click on index.php it displays the website's bad-link page? I haven't changed anything as far as I am aware from when I last used it.

What could have gone wrong? I am clueless as where to start to look? I replaced my LocalSettings.php for the standard one that is produced upon installation, but still receive the bad link?

Thanks
    Will

I believe media wiki uses perl mostly, so have you upgraded perl or disabled any perl modules. Also, have you changed any permissions because the perl scripts have to be executable.

Just Joined!
    Thanks, I don't think I changed any permissions and I have not touched Perl.
    I put in the path form my logo in the Localsettings.php, I then altered Localsettings.php to allow uploads. That was I think the only alterations to Localsettings.php

I altered the MonoBook.php to stop non-logged in users from seeing the editing tab, however, that didn't work because it prevented everyone from seeing the editing tabs so I reverted that back and it appeared to work.

Then I just left it for 8 hours and it no longer worked? What do you suggest I do? Reinstall? I hardly had anything written in the wikia apart from title.

Silly question (as in I showed know) where are the tables of information stored to retrieve the information? I'm using SUSE 10.1 running MySQL underneath. Could MySQL have stopped working preventing the Wiki from looking up the tables? Though I enabled it in the xinited.

its possible. you can do a ps aux at a bash prompt and see if mysql is listed.

if mysql is running you can also check the apache error logs (usually /var/log/apache/) and see if any errors are reported in those files.

Just Joined!
    Hi there,

I did ps aux, but it was not listed but I ran this
    /usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root -p version
    Enter password:
    /usr/bin/mysqladmin Ver 8.41 Distrib 5.0.18, for suse-linux on x86_64
    Copyright (C) 2000 MySQL AB & MySQL Finland AB & TCX DataKonsult AB
    This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. This is free software,
    and you are welcome to modify and redistribute it under the GPL license

Server version 5.0.18
    Protocol version 10
    Connection Localhost via UNIX socket
    UNIX socket /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
    Uptime: 3 days 12 hours 29 min 12 sec

Threads: 1 Questions: 5493 Slow queries: 0 Opens: 0 Flush tables: 1 Open tables: 28 Queries per second avg: 0.018

I am assuming that MySQL is running after receiving this message.

I'll post the apache logs soon

Just Joined!
    Here are some of my Apache error log reports.

The first refers to when I received a session error and it could not save data. I thought that I had corrected that after reverting any changes in MonoBook.php.

[Mon Jun 11 01:16:46 2007] [error] [client 89.242.104.170] PHP Warning: Unknown: open(/var/lib/php5/sess_m22q2toheklmch72v4efa21od4, O_RDWR) failed: Permission denied (13) in Unknown on line 0, referer:
    http://www.ccp14.ac.uk/public_html/w...ut&action=edit
    [Mon Jun 11 01:16:46 2007] [error] [client 89.242.104.170] PHP Warning: Unknown: Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/var/lib/php
    5) in Unknown on line 0, referer: http://www.ccp14.ac.uk/public_html/w...ut&action=edit
    [Mon Jun 11 01:16:46 2007] [error] [client 89.242.104.170] PHP Warning: Unknown: open(/var/lib/php5/sess_m22q2toheklmch72v4efa21od4, O_RDWR) failed: Permission denied (13) in Unknown on line 0, referer:
    http://www.ccp14.ac.uk/public_html/w...ut&action=edit
    [Mon Jun 11 01:16:46 2007] [error] [client 89.242.104.170] PHP Warning: Unknown: Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/var/lib/php
    5) in Unknown on line 0, referer: http://www.ccp14.ac.uk/public_html/w...ut&action=edit

This error happens time and time again. I didn't spot any different errors or when I tried to access the Wiki later in the day.