Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello alll....i've been trying to setup a mail server on my machine running FC6, actually we have a group of around 25 ppl in the R&D section of the company, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Setting up mail server on FC 6.....help!!!

Hello alll....i've been trying to setup a mail server on my machine running FC6, actually we have a group of around 25 ppl in the R&D section of the company, the existing mail server is on a machine running RedHat 7.3...i was asked to upgrade it so that it wud work on FC6..............now i know that FC6 comes with sendmail which can be used to setup a mail server......

1st question : should i go on with sendmail, or is there any better way of setting a mail server??

2nd question: if i choose to go with sendmail (which is what i've been banging my head with for the past few days ), how can i actually get the server up and running so that the server can do the following : 1. the mails for my group of 25 could be routed locally
    2. the mails outside my group could be handled by the mail server located in the copany's head office.

i was told that in order to have the server up and running,using sendmail, i would require to setup a DNS server
    ....is that so??? even for mails within my group of 25??

the DNS server has been the biggest problem...i've tried using BIND, but the zone files a lil' tough to handle, so i've given up hope......

anyway, if the DNS is necessary, can someone please tell me how to setup a DNS server??? so that, i can move to working with Sendmail, for the mail server..

this thing has left me drained after the last few days, and i would really appreciate it if some kind soul could step up and help me!!

while sendmail is good, its very easy to configure wrong, making it vulnerable. Postfix is easily configured and easy to work with.