Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey, in my house we have a windows server with active directory as a domain controler, I want to migrate that to linux (I've been thinking debian), it manages e-mail, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Active Directory Migration

Hey, in my house we have a windows server with active directory as a domain controler, I want to migrate that to linux (I've been thinking debian), it manages e-mail, website, shares, user accounts and documents. But I'm really unsure where to start, could anybody offer some notes?

Basicly I'd want people on windows and if possible Linux to be able to store preferences, documents and stuff on the server and have access to printers and all that.
    Graham - You'd better Use Linux!

I'm registerd Linux user #397030. What about you?

Check out Fedora Directory Server, it lets you do all this stuff with LDAP, but with a nice user interface.

You dont have to wrap your email, websites and stuff into it (I dont) but it will support samba hosting a windows domain ('cos that's how I use it) and samba provides the settings/config saves for Windows.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

I was looking at putting Ebox on Debian, although I'm having to setup wireless because I'm testing it on my computer (If I sod the server up, I'll be screwed)
    Graham - You'd better Use Linux!

I'm registerd Linux user #397030. What about you?

You dont have to run Fedora to run Fedora DS. It'll run on any distro. eBox looks interesting, if this is what you're referring to.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/