Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello there. I am experiencing some problems with vsftp. I have set up a vsftp server running through xinetd. All seems fine i can connect from a remote computer and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

vsftp directory listing

Hello there.
    I am experiencing some problems with vsftp.

I have set up a vsftp server running through xinetd. All seems fine i can connect from a remote computer and i can see them connecting on the server. However, remote computers cannot issue a directory listing command successfully. they can cd and pwd around the directories on the server but cannot list the directory. this obviously means that they cannot connect successfully using a browser or ftp client.

What can i do.

Any help would be much appreciated.

thanks

Just Joined!
    Could this have anything to do with data port access?
    Does port 20 need to be open?
    My nmap does not list port 20

Just Joined!

vsftpd

Yes, port 20 must be open for the ls command to be able to return a list. Let me know if you still have problems.

Just Joined!
    Excuse guys but I am a newbie

How can i open ports in LInux? I found the following command on another forum but it gives me "bad argument '20' "

iptables -I INPUT -p tcp -dport 20 -j ACCEPT

thanks

Just Joined!

opening ports in linux

you only have to set the firewall settings in linux, the easiest way to do this is to click on the redhat, go to system settings, click security level, and set the firewall settings. Open ftp and whatever else you want. Do not click on the trusted device control box because it will let all traffic in. Also, what kind of connection do you have? Is it DSL or Cable, or what? Do you hava a router? List all of your hardware. Good luck.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for you help.
    IT is getting rather frustrating. I have tried the 'no firewall' option and nothing changed, i tried combining this with turning the iptables off but no success there either.
    I have an ADSL connection I use a D-Link DSL-300T. I updated the firmware which according to D-Link means that there is no inbuilt firewall now.

Just Joined!

ftp

I know what you are going through. It is because you have a pppoe connection with your adsl. Put your dsl modem in bridged mode through it's configuration tool by typing it's ip address in your web browser. Then, let your router handle the connection. Tell it your connection type, and provide it with your username and password. Email me if you have any problems. Good luck.