Find the answer to your Linux question:
The past week I've been screwing around with Samba and trying to make it work. I just want to do backups of my windows box every so often via network. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I need a file-sharing server

The past week I've been screwing around with Samba and trying to make it work. I just want to do backups of my windows box every so often via network. However, Samba keeps stalling the process, giving errors, being capricious, and really annoying me. Is there another program which can handle such backups which will do it smoothly? I don't need any complicated features - just to copy one folder from windows onto a Linux system.

Maybe check out FreeNAS?

FreeNAS: The Free NAS Server - Home

Note that behind the scenes it is FreeBSD (not Linux) but that should be obfuscated from you by a web interface anyway.

It supports CIFS (samba) and along with the ISO for FreeNAS you can download a user guide.

This will act as a NAS device -- you'll still need to schedule backups from your Windows box to push the files there.

This looks interesting. So, it seems like it doesn't work through Debian at all. It's like a separate OS.

That's exactly right. (Maybe I misunderstood your first question.)