Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all, this is my first post. I come looking for answers because well, I'm out of ideas. Scenario: We have a MySQL 5.0.27 server running on a Mandriva 2007 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question Connection delay to a Mysql Server

Hello all, this is my first post. I come looking for answers because well, I'm out of ideas.

Scenario:
    We have a MySQL 5.0.27 server running on a Mandriva 2007 64bit linux. (Pentium D 3.4 Ghz - 2 Gb RAM _not that it matters, but oh well_)

Windoze clients experience a delay of 6-7 seconds when initially connecting to the linux server. All subsequent queries/commands do not have any delay.
    The clients are using MySQL Connector/ODBC driver 3.51.15 (happened with other versions too).

The server and the clients are all in the same LAN segment.

I've done quite some searching and investigating. Apparently there are a couple of known issues regarding windows clients connecting to linux servers.
    Specifically there was a bug with MyODBC driver 3.51.9 (MySQL Bugs: #6826: Long delay when connecting to Linux MySQL server from Windows MyODBC clients) that caused severe connection delays under certain circumstances. This has been ruled out in our case because supposedly it was fixed since 3.51.10 or .11.

The server is also running SAMBAd and SSHd and there's no trouble or delay there when windoze clients connect.
    There are no IPtables rules set, not linux firewall whatsoever is turned on.
    I've played around blocking netbios (139) and windows-ns (445) ports, disabling samba and other things. Blocking everything but port 3306, etc.
    The 6 seconds connection delay persists no matter what I do.

Somebody please throw me a bone.

Regards and thanks in advance.
    /Mav

N/m

Just a quick note to say that I finally solved the problem adding "--skip-name-resolve" to the mysqld startup parameters (in /etc/my.cnf).

Later.