Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, Can anyone point me in the right direction. I really want to get to grips with Linux and bin Windows altogether and so really need a solution to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Apache / Linux server on windows XP home network

Hi all,

Can anyone point me in the right direction. I really want to get to grips with Linux and bin Windows altogether and so really need a solution to this problem. I suspect the answer is very simple and I'm missing a basic principle.

I have three computers linked via a hub on a home network and want to use one of them as a Linux server running Apache / MySQL and PHP. I have good installations of Debian Linux and Apache so far on the linux machine and have been told that in order for the other Windows XP machines to recognise it on the network I should install Samba. This I did using Debian's

apt-get install samba

routine.

So far, so good - I can see my machine now in network places on the window's machines. Trouble is, when I try to access the linux machine I get a username and password prompt which won't accept any of the linux usernames or passwords.

Is this a SAMBA configuration or is it the Window's encryption stalling this.

Eventually I want to bin Windows altogether and run all my machines on Linux, but for moment I just want to keep on learning about linux and this is a stalling point.

Please help!!

Pertwee

Just Joined!

Do not need samba to access web server

You should be able to access the linux webserver using an IP address for example on my family network I run Apache on a Debain box. I use to test things out before I move them out to my hosted website. The webserver runs on 192.168.1.98 so I point firefox on the XP machine at it http://192.168.1.98 and it serves up the web pages.

If you want to refer to the webserver machine by name then samba can help. I have had problems getting this to work reliablely, so I cannot advise you. There is also a hosts file on XP. I think it is in thye windows directory you could set that up to do the name translation for an individual machine. If you are ambitious you could set up a DNS server. I would use the hosts file to start.

Mike

Just Joined!
    Mike,

Thanks for your reply.

Your home set-up is pretty much exactly the same as the set-up I am trying to configure. Do you mean to say that you can point to your home webserver by IP address without installing SAMBA?? If this is the case I will go down this track.

Can I beg some more information off you?? How do you upload files to your home webserver if you can only access the server through a browser and using the IP address? Also, in the Debian Linux setup, my network card gets recognised, but I don't ever recall being asked to specify an IP address. Does one get assigned automatically? If so, how do you get this information from linux?

Regards,

Pertwee.

Linux User

stuff

the default install probably obtains an ip address from dhcp.

I would change all the machines to use static ips onthe same range
    e.g.
    192.168.1.1 - subnet mask 255.255.255.0
    192.168.1.3 etc

you need to set up an ftp server for file transfer.

samba is used for windows networking on a LAN - you know like network neighbourhood stuff.

to find out about tcpip settings on windows open a command prompt and type
    ipconfig /all

on linux in a terminal type
    ifconfig

have fun and good luck
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.

Just Joined!
    kpzani,

Many thanks. I followed all the above advice, and am now quite excited! I re-installed Debian and configured it with the IP address 192.168.0.50. I then installed Apache using Debian's apt-get install apache

On my Windows machine I can now use

http://192.168.0.50/

and see my Linux web server.

Thankyou so much.

You mentioned that I need to install an FTP server in order to upload files to my new home webserver. I have used FTP before to access remote servers, but have no experience in setting an FTP server up. Can you explain how I would do this on my linux machine?

Regards,

Pertwee.

Linux User

vsftpd

I use vsftpd - I suppose you would use apt or synaptic to obtain that on debian.

I use fedora and it was installed by default. i just activated the service and it was already configured. See if you can install it - then google for the website. its really simple and takes up zero resources when running as a daemon.

if you get stuck configuring it let me know and I'll compare your files with my config files.
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.

Just Joined!

I use scp to move files to my webserver

I use scp to move the file to my server. It is part of the ssh package. Ftp would also work as does filesharing using samba. You will need to install ftp or ssh. In either case a simple apt-get should do it. I always slect ssh at install time so that is what I use.

Just Joined!
    Hi all,

Just wanted to say thanks for all the input. Following all your advice and with some playing around I now have a very functional home Linux based PHP/MySQL server.

I think Windows has its place but I'm looking forward to a purely Linux existance from now on.

Pertwee

-- One day I'll be a contributer and not such a drain - thanks again.