Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello, I've followed some tutorials, and I was wondering, what's a nameserver?(bind right?) and, when I've turned my pc into a nameserver, will it translate my ip adress, xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

nameserver, WHAT exactly IS IT?:P

Hello,
    I've followed some tutorials, and I was wondering, what's a nameserver?(bind right?) and, when I've turned my pc into a nameserver, will it translate my ip adress, xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx to for example www . goodfood . com, That's a nameserver isn't it?

thanks!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by henky View Post
    Hello,
    I've followed some tutorials, and I was wondering, what's a nameserver?(bind right?) and, when I've turned my pc into a nameserver, will it translate my ip adress, xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx to for example www . goodfood . com, That's a nameserver isn't it?

thanks!
    well, in fact, it's EXACTLY the other way around
    a nameserver translates goodfood.com into 69.25.142.3
    you have to make sure it's connected to the "nameserver network", so to say (technically different though).

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by tulcod View Post
    well, in fact, it's EXACTLY the other way around
    a nameserver translates goodfood.com into 69.25.142.3
    you have to make sure it's connected to the "nameserver network", so to say (technically different though).
    OK tnx for your explanetion!
    so, how do I turn my pc into a server, which translates my ip into www . goodfood . com(this is what I'm trying to archieve)

thanks

a server, which translates my ip into www . goodfood . com(this is what I'm trying to archieve)
    I'm not sure if I understand. If you want your PC to be accessible from
    the net, and have a name that people can use to contact it, there are two
    ways.

1. Register a domain
    2. Use a service like Dyndns

If you choose to register a domain, you would normally want
    to also have a fixed (static) ip address. Then you run a name server
    that is reachable from the net. When people surf to <yourdomain>
    their computer will find your box, because your address
    has propagated to other name servers by magic.

If all you want is for friends to find you by some name, not necessarily
    a name of your choosing, check out

Dynamic Network Services, Inc. -- DynDNS -- Welcome

Running a name server will not, by itself, give you a name.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by rcgreen View Post
    I'm not sure if I understand. If you want your PC to be accessible from
    the net, and have a name that people can use to contact it, there are two
    ways.

1. Register a domain
    2. Use a service like Dyndns

If you choose to register a domain, you would normally want
    to also have a fixed (static) ip address. Then you run a name server
    that is reachable from the net. When people surf to <yourdomain>
    their computer will find your box, because your address
    has propagated to other name servers by magic.

If all you want is for friends to find you by some name, not necessarily
    a name of your choosing, check out

Dynamic Network Services, Inc. -- DynDNS -- Welcome

Running a name server will not, by itself, give you a name.
    ok cewl, you've almost told me anything I want to know lol
    what I'm after is that, what those people have, you said, register a domain right? what happens than? when you register it, I'd like to be able to turn my pc in a server, that could handle domains, so people could for example, register a domain at my pc, you know what I mean?

thanks!

Just Joined!
    your server won't know it has a domain name. the domain name gets translated by a DNS server setup by the company you bought the domain name from (generally speaking).

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by tulcod View Post
    your server won't know it has a domain name. the domain name gets translated by a DNS server setup by the company you bought the domain name from (generally speaking).
    yeah that's what I mean lol:P
    how do I immitate this company's system? I mean, they must've set it up with some kind of program, like bind right?

Hi, im also interested in this topic, ive tried installing BIND, but i wasnt be able to run it succesfully, is it possible to configure a nameserver locally or within a LAN? can u show me sample config on named.conf? and also for ZONE config?Thanks

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by henky View Post
    yeah that's what I mean lol:P
    how do I immitate this company's system? I mean, they must've set it up with some kind of program, like bind right?
    Wait... You want to be a domain name seller and registrar?
    Even i don't know how you would go about doing that, let alone the cost inc the hardware. Companies like GoDaddy are huge.
    I also think you have to be approved by ICANN or something before you are allowed to.

However, if you own a domain name, you may be able to use subdomains like yourname.goodfood.com.

A domain name just points at your IP address, so people dont have to type in 86.34.68.94 to load up your website or whatever you are running.

Sorry if this isn't what you meant, i don't really understand what you are getting at. Do you want to provide domain names, or have a domain name for your server, or what?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen_wq View Post
    Wait... You want to be a domain name seller and registrar?
    Even i don't know how you would go about doing that, let alone the cost inc the hardware. Companies like GoDaddy are huge.
    I also think you have to be approved by ICANN or something before you are allowed to.

However, if you own a domain name, you may be able to use subdomains like yourname.goodfood.com.

A domain name just points at your IP address, so people dont have to type in 86.34.68.94 to load up your website or whatever you are running.

Sorry if this isn't what you meant, i don't really understand what you are getting at. Do you want to provide domain names, or have a domain name for your server, or what?
    OK, what I want, is to host my own domain name, but I suppose this isn't possible tnx for the help though

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast