Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I wanting to use two computers i've just had handed to me. The 1st PC: P3 233 Mhz 768Mb Ram 2nd PC: P4 2.60GHz 256Mb Ram Now I've tried ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Building a Web server...?

Hello,

I wanting to use two computers i've just had handed to me.

The 1st PC:
    P3 233 Mhz
    768Mb Ram

2nd PC:
    P4 2.60GHz
    256Mb Ram

Now I've tried to install Ubuntu 7.04 Server Edition but on both PC's I've encountered problems, installs fine but when starting up the first boot throws up an Error 18?

Now my question is, is there any other suitable Linux Server OS to act as my home web/ email server? Have had a look at various options but can't really seem to find anything solid. Alot of people recommend SMEserver & Fedora.

What would be the best to use as a web server? Its not going to be demanding at the start, I'm thinking of the first PC to use for this but want to use this as an Web & Email server and possibly host several websites for some of my friends business'.

Can anyone help!?

Cheers in advanced

You should look first at Debian and CentOS. If these dont do what you need, then there are others you could try.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    Would these enable a GUI aswell? or remote login/ install!?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Dunno what you mean by remote login/install...

They both have gui's - they're both Linux. They both have ssh access.

I use CentOS for my web server. You really dont need a gui config tool for apache (the web server). I've always found it straightforward to edit the apache config files (in a text editor) to turn stuff on and off.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Grub error 18 is a limitation of older motherboards. Typically, it means that the boot partition needs to be within the first 512megs of the hard drive (which usually means it needs to be the first partition, since there aren't a whole lot of uses for a partition smaller than that).

This error 18 issue will equally affect ALL linux distributions, as long as you use the grub bootloader. There's an alternative bootloader called LILO which doesn't have this limitation--but most linux distributions use grub by default.

For a web server, you'll almost certainly want to use the computer with 768megs of RAM, rather than 256megs. Now, with a speed of only 233mhz, the processor is borderline for PHP scripting...but I seriously doubt that computer is really 233mhz. They didn't make P3 processors that slow, and hardly any computers that slow had a whopping 768megs of RAM. More plausibly, that computer is actually much faster...maybe 433mhz or better.

In any case, the ideal thing would be to combine the faster P4 processor with 768megs of RAM. However, almost certainly the P3 computer uses 168pin SDRAM while the P4 uses 184pin DDR. In other words, the RAM from one computer won't fit in the other.

So, my recommendation is to use the P3 for a server, and play with the P4 machine as a workstation. Ubuntu is fine, but when partitioning make sure to put the OS in the first partition. That most likely means sacrificing any existing Windows install, unless you can shrink it down to under 512megs.

Personally, I use Debian 4.0. It's a wonderfully stable and high quality linux distribution, but it's not as newbie friendly as Ubuntu.

Note that 256megs of RAM is kind of marginal for Ubuntu. The leaner Debian 4.0 will run fine with 256megs of RAM, but like I said it's not as newbie friendly.
    Isaac Kuo, ICQ 29055726 or Yahoo mechdan

Do some research on that error, you should be able to resolve it. I think you have to create a /boot partition in the beginning of the drive, not sure though. It's been awhile since I tried it.

When you get ti up and running, type this:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install openssh-server
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop (or kubuntu-desktop since I prefer KDE)

Then, find and download the latest Webmin package. Install it and manage Apache via Webmin. Easy as can be!

You will be able to remotely administer this as well via webmin.
    I praise Webmin and PuTTy!
    Registered Linux User: 439431