Find the answer to your Linux question:
When using linux as a http proxy server, is squid usually the most common service used for this or another? Which ever it is, then what is the common log ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    flw
    Linux Engineer

Squid server question(s)

When using linux as a http proxy server, is squid usually the most common service used for this or another?

Which ever it is, then what is the common log file(s) in tracking user usage (if turned on) and its path by default ?
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Just Joined!
    Yes squid is the most commonly used one

Unsure which file in particular, you will need to check just to track user usage as I don't use a proxy server myself

Default logging at least on Red Hat is to /var/log/squid/

Linux Guru
    Squid is fairly popular, and is included on the installation CD's for many distros, including Redhat amongst others.

It listens on port 3128 by default.

flw
    Linux Engineer
    So then does squid by default, track usr (ip) usage by site?

If so what is the log name for this?
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Just Joined!
    As far as I am aware, No

It will not automatically track users usage by site.

flw
    Linux Engineer
    Getting back on squid, I've seen some msg's on the net about Squid being slow but no answers real answers. Is there any url on things to check in it's config to improve this speed issue? It's on RH 7.1

Thanks,
    Dan

Just Joined!

Slow Squid Performance

Quote Originally Posted by flw
    Getting back on squid, I've seen some msg's on the net about Squid being slow but no answers real answers. Is there any url on things to check in it's config to improve this speed issue? It's on RH 7.1

Thanks,
    I am still a bit of a newbie but, I was having the same issue. With the browser's proxy pointing to Squid it would sometime take up to 5 seconds or more to serve the page...even simple html such as www.google.com. After a bit of "fiddling" I added a line to my resolv.conf:

nameserver localhost

and made sure it was the first.

After, boingo, lightening fast. Too, I disabled the browser cache in Firefox, Mozilla and Konqueror. Dunno, but, it did work for me.

Apexdv

Just Joined!
    my squid run slow too, something it load very fast, but sometime even a simple webpage such as google.com or ... i have to wait for more than 6 sec or it just stop loading. i dont know what causing this. and my msn and skepy including winamp just keep disconnecting from internet.

if you need nice detailed reports for squid, check SARG

when setup right squid is very fast IMO

Just Joined!

url redirection using squid

any ideas on how one can impose internet quotas on users using URL redirection and squid? would appreciate any help