Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi all, i have recently changed my OS from windows to Linux. So im quite new to the linux world. Im trying to publish a website. So i have installed ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Configuring mysql....HELP

hi all,
    i have recently changed my OS from windows to Linux. So im quite new to the linux world. Im trying to publish a website. So i have installed apache, mysql and php. Apache seems to work fine, but i guess im having some problems configuring mysql. when i try to start it, it throws up an erro. im using fedora core 6 and here is what i did. i gave the command to start mysql, but it failed.

/etc/init.d/mysqld start
    Initializing MySQL database: Neither host 'localhost.localdomain' nor 'localhost' could be looked up with
    /usr/bin/resolveip
    Please configure the 'hostname' command to return a correct hostname.
    If you want to solve this at a later stage, restart this script with
    the --force option
    [FAILED]

Do i have to setup anything else for this to work?

when i ran #ps -sx command, the isnt anything related to mysql. I cheked weather i have installed mysql properly. here is the result when i searched for them.

[root@localhost ~]# rpm -qa | grep -i mysql
    mysql-gui-tools-5.0r12-2.fc6
    mysql-connector-odbc-3.51.12-2.2
    mysql-5.0.27-1.fc6
    mysql-gui-common-5.0r12-2.fc6
    MySQL-python-1.2.1-1
    mysql-administrator-5.0r12-2.fc6
    mysql-server-5.0.27-1.fc6
    perl-DBD-MySQL-3.0007-1.fc6
    mysql-query-browser-5.0r12-2.fc6
    libdbi-dbd-mysql-0.8.1a-1.2.2

As i have mentioned before, im very new for linux. So, can someone guide me through this to get it up and running. I would really appreciate that.

Linux Newbie
    Hi guys. Its me again. Finally, i have managed to over come that problem. I think there was a mismatch while it was installed. In '/etc/hosts', instead of the local ipaddress which is 127.0.0.1 there was '::1'. So i edited it to 127.0.0.1 and now i can connect to the database. Thanks for reading folks.

cheers