Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm dyin' here, and you cats are my last hope: I've been setting up an old Vaio PC to be a file server in my house, using the directions found ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Creating SSH Tunnel between Mac and Linux

I'm dyin' here, and you cats are my last hope:

I've been setting up an old Vaio PC to be a file server in my house, using the directions found here: bit-tech.net | Build your own server

I've been pretty successful the whole way through...with one glaring error: I can't seem to successfully create an SSH Tunnel and subsequently get VNC to run. I blame much of this on the fact that the directions I'm using offer a Windows example for the client computer, whereas, in my situation, I need something a little more relevant for what should be done with Apple's OS X.

My guess is I need to use some combination of the Terminal and Chicken of the VNC, but I have no idea how to proceed from there.

Any chance you can help?

Hmmm, ssh forwarding of VNC ports is pretty straightforward - but there will be some differences based on the distro you're using. So which distribution are you running?
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    Hey there, I'm using Xubuntu for the server.

I've followed all of the directions in that tutorial to a T, with the only exception that I've been able to figure out what to do for Macs everytime they mention something about PCs.