Find the answer to your Linux question:
what kinds of thigs would i have to do to run a web site off my computer i have apache running samba is not up yet having troubles what else ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

running website

what kinds of thigs would i have to do to run a web site off my computer i have apache running samba is not up yet having troubles what else do i need to do

Linux Guru
    Apache is really the only thing you need to run a web site.

Just Joined!
    If you need PHP to work along with it then you need to insall PHP also along with apache.

Regards
    Rajesh

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    what is php and can i get like some help of a turtoril on how to do this like how do i get like a name set up like www.linuxslacker.com so it hits my box and how will it work on my 1.4g 256mb coputer

Linux Guru
    Rest assured it will work perfectly on a computer with those specs. I run my website on a 200 MHz PII with 64 MBs of RAM, and it runs more than well.

PHP is a hypertext preprocessor, similar in function to Microsoft's Active Server Pages (ASP), but very different in architecture (where Microsoft uses COM, PHP uses builtin functions, which lends itself to much greater speed, if possibly slightly worse extensibility).

To set up a domain name, you have to register it somehow. Unless you ask for domain name hosting (which costs more), you will also have to run a DNS server on that box. A DNS server isn't completely easy to set up, unfortunately. One possible registrar (the one I'm using and am very content with) is http://www.tera-byte.com/.

To set up a domain name, you have to register it somehow. Unless you ask for domain name hosting (which costs more), you will also have to run a DNS server on that box. A DNS server isn't completely easy to set up, unfortunately. One possible registrar (the one I'm using and am very content with) is http://www.tera-byte.com/.
    And if u have a dynamic ip , you can just take the cheep way out and do a 2nd level domain name with an ip-redirect from like dyndns.org or no-ip.com or others that provide the service for free.....
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Linux Guru
    Oh yes, that's true - I forgot to mention that. It's _possible_, but very much not recommended to have your very own domain name on a dynamic IP, since it can take up to two days for your new IP address to propagate when it changes. If it changes more often than that, it obviously won't work at all.

Just apply for a dyndns account and point the FQD to that sub domain works a treat.