Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey alles! I've got a Debian 4 with scponlyc chrooting but cannot connect with the chrooted account. Connecting to a account not chrooted works fine so it must be something ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

scponlyc connecting problems

Hey alles!

I've got a Debian 4 with scponlyc chrooting but cannot connect with the chrooted account. Connecting to a account not chrooted works fine so it must be something sticky with scponlyc. No errors but no connect with FileZilla and this comes up with WinSCP:
    Error skipping startup message. Your shell is probably incompatible with the application (BASH is recommended).
    What should I do?

Found a sollution to this problem:

I had a account that could connect but those that were created after could not connect and the difference in those directories was that the folder /dev did not exist.

The sollution is:

mkdir /your/chroot/dir/dev
    mknod -m 666 /your/chroot/dir/dev/null c 1 3

Just Joined!

scponlyc doesn't connect

I had this problem as well. For others struggling with it, the symptom is that scponlyc starts as it should, shown in the logs, but sftp-server disconnects with no message. Apparently sftp-server tries to write to /dev/null and cannot.

I'm running on CentOS, and trying mknod to create a /dev/null special got "operation not permitted."

I was able to get it working by making a link to the real /dev/null from within the chrooted environment. So:

mkdir /path/to/chroot/dev
    cd /path/to/chroot/dev
    ln /dev/null null

I (think I) understand the security implications of making links from within a chrooted environment to the outside, but /dev/null seems safe. (I hope so!)

I hope this helps someone.