Find the answer to your Linux question:
EDM for electronic document management In fact I need to make a web file server with powerfull abilities I can explain : I need that every user could post (save) ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I need powerfull EDM : which one ? Urgent !

EDM for electronic document management

In fact I need to make a web file server with powerfull abilities I can explain :
    I need that every user could post (save) files without ability to erase tham later. Those should be applied related to a project and a stage. I need features which could make such posts obsolete (without erasing older ones) and which could inform everybody about the upgrade. This means another user could post his way of doing the same thing and it would appear for him as his upgrade and for others as an alternate work until one of them or the admin decides that which is the one (the other only deprecated not deleted).

Those files could be CAD or Office or photos or any but I need to be able to run scripts to make them printable in a clike (a thumbnail or many thumbnails depending on the type and linked to previews... would be created next to the file). I want also to make this through an index to be able to search (so a search engine inside the CMS is needed).

Then I need to make a library of files upgradable that could use another bunch of scripts (I know how to do them) to use them as templates or objects

Not only I do not know which free CMS to use neither have I seen something that already exists that suits my need any where where such systems exist.

I know some PERL, bash, TCL/Tk and C++ of course and how to configure linux with commandline but nothing else regarding this.
    I don't know MySQL or Apache at all (really no knowledge) but I will have to use them (and I would like to). My only (old) knowledge is about Dbase 3 on DOS when I was very young at school and ran that for my father.

Linux User

php

Never heard of anything with all the capabilities you want.

some of them sound really simple and something like CVS and web front ends for it might work.

otherwise better get learning php and start building your own. but I would first check out CVS and then google for some web fronts.
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.

Just Joined!

Re: php

Quote Originally Posted by kpzani
    Never heard of anything with all the capabilities you want.

some of them sound really simple and something like CVS and web front ends for it might work.

otherwise better get learning php and start building your own. but I would first check out CVS and then google for some web fronts.
    CVS is not enough. people with little knowledge (about IT and anything else than their own pro application and some only able to web browsing) should be able to manage groups.

however I have seen many EDMs at sourceforge that could fit. However it seems i should upgrade them a lot. No problem, I only lack time.
    Why PHP better than Perl ? In fact don't know nothing about PHP and I feel I needn't even if the EDM is written in PHP, I can enhance it with Perl, can't I ?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    If you ask me, it seems the best option is to use CVS as the back-end, and then plaster on a PHP or Perl web interface that makes up for CVS in terms of ease of use. Could that be a working solution for you?

As for PHP vs Perl - the advantages of PHP are two:
    1. It's a preprocessor. It's really nice to be able to write a large HTML file, and then just escape a little relevant PHP code with <?php ... ?> tags.
    2. It has lots of library functions that are useful for interacting with HTML/HTTP. I'd imagine that Perl has lots as well, but I think PHP has even more in those areas.

Otherwise, I agree with you that Perl is a much nicer language. I've never really thought PHP is very elegant. It's just practical because of those two things.

Linux User

cvs and php

I don't know anything about perl.

But PHP is a very simple language to use.

anyway, there are loads of php front ends for CVS already available and they are simple web based interfaces. anyone can use them once someone's installed and configured them.
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.

Just Joined!

Re: cvs and php

Quote Originally Posted by kpzani
    I don't know anything about perl.

But PHP is a very simple language to use.

anyway, there are loads of php front ends for CVS already available and they are simple web based interfaces. anyone can use them once someone's installed and configured them.
    In fact CVS is a bit too simple for me (not enough management) and too big for the others.
    What I need is not to manage the thing myself but rely on an automatic management with many frontend features. I already know the rules I will apply.
    For instance, I do not wish anybody handle a tree system. There will be a search engine and nothing else. Seemlessly the files will belong to a projet and a level, will belong to the people that saved them and will be validated by others, corrected or upgraded by anybody. those could be viewed or printed (with previews and thumbnails already created when saved by the server) depending of the type of file and could be sent through mail or fax depending on the authorizations on the project of the sender...