Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm looking for a recommendation for a mail server running on FC7. It will support a dozen users and should have spam and virus filtering. POP3 access for sure, Web ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Recommend Fedora 7 Mail Server

I'm looking for a recommendation for a mail server running on FC7.

It will support a dozen users and should have spam and virus filtering. POP3 access for sure, Web mail access is a plus. The intent is a stable mail server for small groups of Windows users.

I think I want to run SpamAssassin, etc. Don't know about the antivirus. QMail looks attractive due to resistance to invasion.

Just Joined!
    My favourite combination is qmail + vpopmail + squirrelmail + spamassassin (via qmail-queue-scanner.pl). If you check out qmailrocks.org, you'll find a great walk-through.

It's really a matter of personal preference though: postfix + vmadmin is another possiblity, as is sendmail + mime-defang. I believe exim has some degree of SA integration built-in

Just Joined!
    I'm going to try it on CentOS 5.0 and QMailToaster. I've been told that CentOS is basically a free version of Red Hat Enterprise, and more conservative (read: stable) than cutting-edge Fedora.

I got CentOS installed and updated just fine, but the toaster script killed the GUI management interface. Fortunately I keep snapshots in VMWare which is where it is being developed, so I can roll back a few steps without a total reinstall.

I can see that Linux won't give Microsoft any competition for the general public, until Linux gets past the complex setup issues. Macintosh OS-X is unix, but do they have the complex setup issues that Linux has? I suspect not, but I'm not a Mac guy at all.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close