Can Linux server serve Windows XP client in small network?
Hiya to all :)
I am planning setup a Linux server to control 40 Windows XP professional client for a school, but I am not sure whether my requiremet is possible to achive with Linux Operating System. Below are my requirement:
Task of Serve:
1. To provide 100MBytes storage to every registered student with 70MBytes exclusive for them alone and another 30MBytes as share storage to share with other students.
2. To provide Audio/Video Streaming, All the available audio/video file to be listed and members can make a playlist of thier own choice.
3. To provide printing management like limiting each student to make maximum of 100 printing pages per week.
4. To keep record of logging on and off time of each student, eg: limitting each student to 3 hours a day.
5. To prevent acessing from undesirable web site eg: porn materials.
Above are the minimum requirement I needed to setup the server. At the moment all the Windows XP Client running as stand alone in a standard workgroup and internet connection is served by Negear ADSL Router.
I also required to ensure the server is not accessible to internet meaning that the server MUST not have internet connection but ONLY to provide access to local computer alone, basically the serve is a file server. The internet connection to client computer will be as is now, provided by Netgear ADSL Router.
If above is possible can some one tell me how long will it take to setup the entire system based on my knowledge that I personally never touched Linux before (but am willing to put all the best effort I can) but resonably familier with setting up Windows Networking without much problem.
The server system specificaion is as below:
Dual AMD Opteron 64 bit 242 CPU
2 Gigabytes ECC Registered RAM.
8 X 200MBytes SATA HDD configured as RAID 10
Tyan K8W S2885 Mother Board
High Point Rocket RAID 1820A PCI-X Raid Card
Sorry for long thread, I am just trying to give as much information :) Thank you in advance.
p/s: I am planning to use Fedora Core 3 64bit version.
Re: Can Linux server serve Windows XP client in small networ
I use squid with dansguardian on a debian machine for about 30 people. Dansguardian is a great porn blocker. Machine is a PII 500megahz, 10ide Drive and 300Ram or so. Students are all on Windows XP.
You should check out Deep Freeze by faronics. I LOVE it and it is cheap for schools. Completely locks down their system. I don't even use virus software on the student machines. Deep Freeze means that I don't do any software repairs at all. The only thing that can go wrong is hardware. Saved me an insane amount of time.
I want to setup Samba as the PDC and with LDAP on a seperate machine but still lack the knowhow.