Cluster for Batch Photo Processing
I was considering stealing some cycles from an old P4 Box I have set up as a NAS, my Core 2 Duo Laptop, and my Core Duo Mac Mini. Details on each machine at bottom of post.
Has anyone attempted to use a cluster to resize photos? I have 10's of 1,000s of photos to resize and I was wondering if clustering together made sense in this case?
1. Which should be the master (does the master get fully utilized? - i.e. or should it be the slowest machine?)
2. Has anyone tried Imagemagick on a cluster environment?
3. The first machine (NAS below) only has a 10/100 mb/s LAN connection - should this not be included in the cluster b/c my options are to crossover the laptop/mini at a 1000 mb/s connection or run all three on a 100 mb/s router (WRT54GL)
4. Are there any obvious bottlenecks in the machines below?
5. Can a script be created to say send - the first file to node 1, second to node 2, third to node 3 and then start all over?
Here is the detail on each Machine
* NAS Single core P4 (1.8 Ghz) 512 Mb Ram (Unknown Speed) / Ubuntu / Striped RAID Array
** Core 2 Duo Laptop (2.0 Ghz) 800 MHz FSB / 3 GB Ram (PC2-6400) / Vista / 7200 RPM HD
*** Core Duo Mac Mini (1.8 Ghz) 667 MHz FSB / 2 GB Ram (PC2-5300) / Mac OS X 10.4 / 5400 RPM HD