File Server Software
Hello. I am looking for open source software to run on a file server. This is what it needs to do:
1. Locate old data > 6 months unmodified/not accessed
2. Create a transparent link
3. Move old data - keep folder structure
4. Compress old data (optional)
5. Work with our current shares and security groups (Windows + AD)
We would be willing to reinstall the file server with a Linux Distro if there was a good solution out there. We want to move data that has not been accessed in the last 6 months to a NAS device with larger, slower, cheaper, drives. The process should be transparent to the users, ie. they still see the files in the same place as before.
Is this even possible?
It looks like a bash script could do all of this pretty easily. Then put it on a cron to run every week or night. My scripting isn't great but there are lots around here that are.