Postfix Milter Problem
We recently updated our postfix installation (v2.5.4) so we could incorporate milters. Upon activating the following lines in the config file, we found our headers being screwed up on emails:
The headers end up with a '0' (zero) in them right after the "Subject:" header which causes postfix to insert a blank line before the '0' and begin processing the rest of the message as the body. This causes further headers input our scanning software to be shown directly in the body of the message.
milter_default_action = tempfail
smtpd_milters = inet:127.0.0.1:8092
We've tried a header_checks rule looking for a header beginning with a zero:
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 11:23:58 -0400
From: Adam <****@*****.***>
User-Agent: Thunderbird 184.108.40.206 (X11/20080915)
To: Adam <*****@*****.****>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
X-jsausa-MailScanner-Information: JSA Mailscanner
X-jsausa-MailScanner: Found to be clean
Needless to say, that did not work. We've also tried numerous other configs that did not work. If anyone has encountered this before or has any insight, please post!
Further research and testing found that it was actually MailScanner that was screwing up the headers. Apparently there was a file locking issue and two programs (our mail archiving software MailArchiva and our scanning software MailScanner) were trying to write headers in the same file at the same time. Hope this helps someone down the road.