Recommendations for server software
Hi. I'm new to servers so I will be thankful for any help.
I am looking for some recommendations as to what I might look at for a server software configuration. Or if it would even be worth it to use a server. I am mainly doing the research at this point.
If you have any thoughts I would like to hear them. I can refine the following as I get more information. It may take a few days for me to reply as I will have to learn as I go.
Here's the plan.
I will be donating 5 computers built from reusable parts for a little break area for a local Sheltered Workshop. It will be for the mentally handicapped employees to use to learn some computer skills. I will be unable to maintain the server personally except for when I go once a month for a drop off/pickup.
* So far I believe that I will be using Puppy for the OS either on the PC's or network boot.(or similar)
* This system will not be connected to the Internet at any time soon except for updating.
* The server will start out as a way for them to get some idea of networking. And teach them some basics on Internet Safety.
* It could also be a server with terminals or thin clients. (depending on the hardware I collect)
* The server will also function as a print server and possibly a web server. (I would like to see them learn how to wiki or blog.)
* If it works I have a server board with up to 4 P3's and ?? GB's of RAM (at least more than enough).
* I will likely use AMD Athlon 1700 CPU's or better, at most 10.2 GB hard drives, with 512 MB ram minimum for the PC's.
* I think that most of the software will be from accessibility projects.(There should be a accessibility server project too)
I have a lot to learn so I may not get this project completed this year. But I will get to try a few things out to see what works best.