I'm planning on setting up my first complete Linux server. I am not allowed to ask for suggestions on which distro to use so please keep your answers to software only!
Before I start I want to point out that I am aware of the security risk with placing firewall, webserver and more on the same system, so no rants on that!
The only thing I have given any thought to is the distro where I am thinking of using SuSE. But please do not make any other suggestions in this thread. This is something I need to figure out on my own apparently.
So, here's what I'm looking for:
1. A good and easily configured firewall but with the ability to set more advanced settings.
2. A webserver. I assume this will be Apache?
3. Database application. I assume MySQL?
4. The ability to work as a file server for windows and linux clients. (samba?)
5. A good FTP server with support for encrypted transfers, virtual folders and decent user/rights management.
6. A good bitTorrent client.
7. Possibly also be able to run as a domain controller for windows/linux machines although this is something I will not set up initially.
I want to be able to run a GUI for all apps. I feel safer with that available to begin with although I am aim on running it strictly from terminal/command line in the long run.
Any suggestions on parts of this or the entire thing would be most welcome! I'm worried about in-compability, or if there are benefits from using specific apps in combination. And also helpful suggestions for how to go about doing it.