Suggestions on Remote Access to my Machines with Vaired OS's?
Hello there Forum Dwellers,
Finally made the leap and joined this wonderful community so I could ask you all this question.
I have asked the same question at WebTalk but I am not seeming to get any suggestions at all. I figured I would get some good responses here! :)
So I need a solution here, I run vairous equipment and servers and need to be able to remotely access them with a GUI from both my Laptop, and my Android phone when I am on the go.
Heres my issue, I really don't know what the best protocol would be to use to remotely access my servers, and I need on that is a cross platform package/program that I can preferrably access all of the different Operating Systems. Plus I need to find the best option without disrupting security to much..
This is my layout right now.
- I have 4 Servers running CentOS. All of which I use for VPS virtualization.
- There are 2 Virtual Private Servers on those 4 CentOS servers that I use for my own personal use. One of the VPS's runs OpenIndiana, and the other is running CentOS (which I am looking to soon switch to Red Hat Enterprise Linux)
- There are also two other servers that I have that I dont use to host VPS's, but use for other features, One of which is running SuSE Enterprise Linux Server, and the other is running Solaris 11.
- I have one older PC that I customized, and use to run as a Router and Firewall. Right now it is using ClearOS, but I think I may switch it to OpenBSD.
- Soon I will be getting a NAS server, and on which I will most likely run FreeNAS which is a custom FreeBSD flavor.
- As for my Personal Laptop, I am running the current Fedora 16, and also dual boot into Windows 7 when needed.
- Finally my phone is a Motorola Photon 4G running Gingerbread Android OS.
So as you may have noticed its quite a varied selection I have here, and I have different Operating Systems for different reasons. I really love my set up right now, and don't wish to change it. All I would wish to do is remotely access all my machines from my Laptop and my Phone.
I dont know what would be the best option for Remotely Accessing my machines either. VNC? RDP? some other I don't know of... ? Any suggestions on that?
I would like to be able to get a full GUI as well, and not just the terminal if possible. So I need the X Window.
Also it would be great if whatever choice I end up using has support for even more operating systems.. Some day I would love to try out and use something like SCO OpenServer, Novell's Open Enterprise Server (NetWare), IRIX, or others of that sort, Maybe try out the new Windows Server 2012, as well as some experimental stuff in the future like PureDarwin, or some HURD flavor, or even some OS X Server on one of my VPS's or something for my families IOS devices, or cloud streaming etc.
Ya know what I mean? Just the more support the better, is all..
So heres an overview:
My Servers/Etc use:
CentOS, SuSE Enterprise Linux Server, Solaris, OpenIndiana, ClearOS, and hopefully/maybe: Red Hat Enterprise Linux, FreeBSD/FreeNAS, OpenBSD, and possibly sometime more as mentioned above..
My personal devices use:
Fedora 16, Windows 7, and Android.
So I need to be able to remotely access the Operating Systems in the "My servers/ect" category. And I would need to access them from "My Personal Devices" category.
What do you guys think?
Whats my best option?
Could I do this without comprimising security too much?
Could I do this with just one protocol/application for all?
Any other suggestions?
Thank you all so very much for your time, I greatly appreciate any help.
Anything would be very benefitial, point me in the right direction, suggest part of it, or the best protocol, etc.
ANYTHING would be great! :)
Thanks for everything.
Hope someone can help.
Peace, Love and Light to you all.
Great help, even I could follow it....
Great help, even I could follow it.... I am an old newbie but really enjoy reading great help files like you just put out...
Originally Posted by Lazydog
Thanks from me and keep them coming.....