Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just installed the first two slackware 12.0 cd's. Everything went fine, eventually, but i did not install lilo. I then put the first slackware install cd in and used ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Exclamation Screen resolution and colour bit issue

I just installed the first two slackware 12.0 cd's. Everything went fine, eventually, but i did not install lilo. I then put the first slackware install cd in and used it as a lilo menu and booted into my new slackware, logged in as root and tried "startx" - it didnt work.

I then ran "xorgconfig" and followed the prompts, still it didnt work. I get some error saying that screens were found but none had a usable configuration. I then fiddled around with xorg settings and got it to work, but it only works under 640x480 resolution and 8bit colour - which basically means i have only a small box in the middle on my monitor in which KDE is and the colour is horrible.

I've also ran xorgsetup, but that didnt do anything. And ive tried to copy slax liveCD xorg.conf into slackwares xorg.conf, but that didnt change anything.

Any ideas?
    It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.

- Voltaire

Just Joined!
    I do not have experience in using the CD as a boot loader. So, I can't comment as to whether or not that could be causing you problems (although it seems unlikely).

Can you please let us know what graphics card you are using and post a copy of your xorg.conf file.

Possible solutions may be found at the following reference as well:
    X.Org Wiki - FAQErrorMessages

It doesn't have a graphics card, maybe a built in one (but it would be very old and weak).

I'll get back to you on the xorg.conf file, and the xorg FAQ didn't work for me.
    It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.

- Voltaire